2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to install a fiberglass console in my Boston Whaler and need some help. I need some Fiberglass console mounting hints, other than glassing to floor. Has a flange lip on the console, also would like to raise it approx 3"

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't know what model Whaler you have, but this should be pretty straightforward. Whaler original consoles had a wooden reinforcing strip glassed in on the inside of the console at the botton edge. I would guess it is a 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" wide aqua ply strip glassed on the inside, bottom of each side of the console. To this a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle was through bolted to the console and then wood screwed directly into the floor. The side of the angle was traditionally decorated with a teak strip. I have raised the console a couple of ways. To begin with, I used riser blocks made of teak, but have had trouble with them cracking. The last riser I made was from aluminum C-channel. Turn the "C" to the outside down the sides and then get a metal shop to weld a cross piece toward the front of the console. Whaler consoles had a false floor in them so the underneath could be cleaned. If you move the batteries from the splash well to the console, you will either need to reinforce the floor or better, cut holes in the floor so you batter box(es) can rest directly on the floor. If you are doing this to an Outrage, then the deck panel that covers the built in gas tank is backed by plywood. Make sure that any screws you use are not long enough to pass throug the floor and puncture the gas tank. I believe 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" #12 SS screws work fine. By the way, I think this is the best modification you can make to an older whaler. It makes stand up driving much more comfortable. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My Whaler is the 15' 3" wood side console model, 1976 circa. with the 55hp Johnson. Will update to 60 or 70 hp as soon after jan 1st. I have removed the wooden console and have a fiberglass console ready to install, but cant decide how to mount it. I want to raise it at least 3" from floor. I thought about treated lumber down with adhesive and screws, console mounted on top with adhesive and screws. Then trim out the treated wood mounting base with redwood and clear epoxy. it has a lip on the console, so I dont know if I need to grind it down, and then flush mount to base or some other mounting way. Any help would be appreciated, thanx.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sound like you have some good ideas.

I remounted my Montauk Console by screwing PT 2x4's on each side to the sole, and sealed the underside with marine silicone. I did not use an adhesive. Then I bolted 3" tall Starboard (beveled top) around the console with adhesive added for strength. Then used SS lag bolts horizontaly through the Starboard into the PT 2x4's to anchor the console. I am very happy with the set up. Easy to remove the lag bolts and role the console forward for any kind of work inside.

If you want to come up 3 inches I would suggest a similar design. Bolt one 2x4 down to the sole, then anouther on top of that. Then vertically bolt the console flange to the top 2x4 with lag bolts (use bolts long enough to go into the bottom 2x4, but not into the sole) Be carefull with lay out so your top screws do not hit your bottom screws. Trim the whole thing out with Starboard or teak. If you do all sides remember to leave a few drain paths in the bottom 2x4.

Be careful using adhesives like 5200 directly on to the gel coat. If you ever need to remove what ever you stuck down you can loose a lot of gel coat.

Bueno Suerte

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
There's several threads in the Whaler Forums at Continuouswave.com about mounting and raising consoles if you search the archives. If it were me raising it, I'd build and glass over a plywood pedestal with storage in it and move the batteries in there to get them out of the stern area for better balance.

·
From Hope and Change 2 Dope and Strange
548 Posts
I would make a full box that is the same size as the outer foot of console 3 inches thick. Then I would come in what ever the width of what the foot is to the side wall of console and mount 1"X3" uprights on the two sides and the front rim. Mount that box to the floor and then fiberglass the whole thing to seal out water. Sit the console on it and run stainless screws thru the bottom side's on console "also the front bottom" and thru the 1"X3" uprights to secure to the pedistal box. Run some 1/4" bolts about 2 1/2"s long with washers on both sides and lock nuts to hold console to pedistal. This also makes console removable if needed. I can draw pic and put it on here if you not sure what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for all yalls help with the console.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts