2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired. FEMA's wearing me down. They denied me assistance based on the fact that a) I have renter's insurance (that's fine, I expected to have to send in the settlement and denial before I received any assistance) and b) that my house is livable.

*sigh* How can my house be livable? Two levels of ceilings are falling in due to water damage, there's mold on every floor, the stench is horrible, there has been no sewer, water, and still no electricity, and my city government has had us under a look and leave policy. I have written documentation that everyone on the west end was to be out by the 8 pm curfew as of 10/1/08. I haven't looked to see if it has been lifted since then. How can I live in a house if I'm not supposed to be in the neighborhood between 8PM & 6AM? I sent them a fax appeal 3 times now and they still don't show they have received any correspondence from me. I try to call them and the hotline disconnects me. It's so freaking frustrating.

My only question at this point is... does the housing rental reimbursement cover renting only a hotel or does it cover other housing like renting a room, an RV, or other short-term rental? Does anyone here know?

I'll continue faxing them my appeal daily until they show they've received my correspondence. Maybe Friday I'll take a day off work and go sit at the FEMA center.

Elaine

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's just been a trying time for me and everyone else on the Gulf Coast. I guess I just needed to vent. I feel better now. :)

I appreciate the response.

Elaine

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
you must register with them first to benefit from rental . They have many hotels that do not need any money or credit card if you are registered .

http://www.tacvbemergency.net/searchrooms

If you have renters insurance then you area renter and talk to landlord , he may let you out of lease since he does not want you get sick and sue him , I know I would .

they do not want you to coolest from insurance and fema since you will have two checks and people will be ahead if your house or car was paid twice for damages. they need to see the insurance check first, I know you have limited access to internet so If you need me to research for you pm me with q?

fema will look at your income and if you are in high income forget it ..

you also qualify for unemployment by going to unemployment office and tell them it is due to ike..

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already registered for FEMA, been inspected, FEMA inspector marked "unlivable" on form, but when we received notification was marked "Denied - house was livable". Housing assistance was denied until renter's insurance is settled, which I expected. I don't expect FEMA to pay what my renter's insurance covers. I only hope that they will assist with what my insurance does not cover. My renter's insurance will ONLY cover hotel stay... nothing that isn't a hotel... not a room rental, not an RV rental, not a short-term apartment/house rental, etc. I was just wondering if FEMA covered any of those. I want to return to my home as soon as repairs are made. My landlord is working to have contractors get started within the next week or two. I'm not sure if you have tried to find decent housing on or near the island, but it's darn near impossible... especially if you have pets. Believe me, there are at least half a dozen of us at my office who are looking.

I've been working since the Monday after Ike, so I don't need any unemployment. I've been very fortunate. If you can find a FEMA hotel within 50 miles of Galveston, you're doing better than anyone I work with. They've already been approved for housing and they can't find any hotels, nor can any of the UTMB workers that my husband works with who are staying in tents on the island. We're renting an RV and we're thankful that we have that, but if FEMA will help offset the expense, that would be nice. If it doesn't, then I know that next year I double my renter's insurance and stay in a hotel the entire time. Lesson learned. I had no clue that Additional Living Expense insurance didn't cover other temporary housing. *shrug* Of course, it didn't help that the insurance company sent the copy of my policy to the physical address (which has no mailing address) three times instead of to the mail box. I still have never seen a copy of my insurance policy. Oh, well. At least I had it. :) We'll see what happens when it's time to pay for the tv and computers.

Elaine

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I have no ideal what he said either Tiny. But to answer your question you can go online and check your FEMA and see what they qualified you for. I got rent of $702 a month for 18 months. I then have to pay $50 out of my own pocket. They are just transfering the money into my checking account. That way I don't have to rent a apt that accepts FEMA vouchers. I can rent where I want too. I did have to put down a deposit and sign a 6 month lease where if they(apartments) take vouchers you don't have to do that. I got into a nicer place.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just for the record they did the same too me, if you want to call them and actually speak with someone, Set you alarm for 2am you can get right in!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Txgoddess,

I don't know much about Fema but I have a B&B about 40miles SE of Galveston Island and had 3 young guys stay for a weeks rental from there. If you or one of your colleages need a place and have animals I may be able to accomodate you..

Good luck getting things worked out..

Mary Jean

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL. I'm not a strong swimmer and my husband's boat is at my in-law's in San Augustine. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

kenny said:
40 miles SE of Galveston is in the GOM!

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that!

Elaine

Piledriver said:
Just for the record they did the same too me, if you want to call them and actually speak with someone, Set you alarm for 2am you can get right in!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts