2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to hear some opinions'...I know there are a bunch on this board...lol..

Anyways..went to the ranch and found my feeder pretty much destroyed....it wasn't knocked over but the varmint cage was literally torn apart...the welds had been broken in places...and two of the bolts on the motor were ripped out...timer torn out of the lugs...mind you the feeder is only about 4ft to 4 1/2 feet off the ground...and we just and we have just recently started seeing Hogs in the area....not real big ones but they might be pushing 70-80lbs...

My guess is that a hungry Pig got hold of it...any other ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Livestock on the place...high fenced in....and I have a game cam...just ran out of pics before the damage..

Should have added that info in...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh I bet for sure this is what is causing your problem...you might not have seen the big ones yet but their likely there. This one was nudging the timer/spinner and turning the moultrie into an on demand feeder.

I set up a new one last weekend. I'm not going to have that problem again. Old feeder is still there will remove it before the season but the new one it's going to take Hogzilla to bother it..., 8 foot legs, 3 foot steel stakes, 16 gauge steel construction, and 300lbs of corn...bring it on porkies...

Earl

Sace said:
No Livestock on the place...high fenced in....and I have a game cam...just ran out of pics before the damage..

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't know how well you had it staked, but if the feeder was relatively low, it does take much for a pig to flip it, specially one as short as you had mentioned. Once on the ground, the damage gets done.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,325 Posts
feeder damage

Need more info to better determine culprit:
1. were the legs staked?
2. is it in a feeder pen?
3. if so is it made of panels or barbed wire?
4. How full was it? Staked and wired it is easier to overturn when less full

As previously stated a game cam will tell you for sure but look for rooting/dirt dug out and lots of exposed rocks under the feeder and hog hair in the barbed wire. Also look for rooting in your open, grassy areas. I have recently had 2 feeders overturned. It's been a while since this has happened due to barbed wire pens around the feeders (we have cows for our ag. exemption), staked and barbed wired feeder legs and varmint cages. I think I have a hogzilla in my area (300 +- lb. boar). Good luck!

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
I bet hogs got a hold of it first and the ***** finished it off. ***** are pretty strong animals and if they can get their hands on something they will tear it up to get to what they want. Are these ***** protein fed?

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Sace said:

Well if you have pigs on your cam that most likely is going to be the culprit.

·
Banned
81 Posts
CHUPACABRA for sure- they really like those short feeders! I wouldn't bow hunt on the ground this season b/c they are very territorial. Those things just give me the willies...

·
Headhunter...Fishhunter.. .Deerhunter...
1,586 Posts
2shallow/majek said:
CHUPACABRA for sure- they really like those short feeders! I wouldn't bow hunt on the ground this season b/c they are very territorial. Those things just give me the willies...
Yep.. or could be a cougar.. they like to spill the corn to hunt over.. that or a gang of really large armed *****.. they can really cause havoc when banded together..

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
If you have axis deer on your property, they'll DESTROY a feeder. We hunted in Leaky for 6 years and had axis bulls tearing up motors, knocking feeders down, kicking the barrels all over the rocks ... nothing a .300 Win mag. can't take care of!!!

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
If the feeder didn't get knocked over with all that damage it kind of sounds like it was 2 legged vandals to me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I guess there's no way to know for sure...it's not staked down or in a pen. There are Axis deer, so either Hog or Axis most likely did the damage. Just like to hear y'alls experiences and ideas....obviously putting up another feeder to be chewed on, kicked and pulled at is the next line of business...I guess it really doesn't matter what or who did it...we all know we are just going to put another feeder, dump a bit more money in it...and swear that I will kill every racoon and hog I see this year...lol..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Something similar happened to my feeder last time I was at the ranch, cheapo moultrie legs all bent up and rusted out so the feeder fell and somehow the motor got completely RIPPED off, its like whatever did it just ripped out the timer and motor and everything else is mounted just fine, there is some horses there could they have done it? Also the feeder was staked down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts