2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .308 Rem 700 LTR and have been shooting the Federal Premium Vitol-Shok 165gr Trophy Bonded Tip and it shoots extremely well. The muzzel velocity of this round is 2700fps but I saw where Federal is about to release a new high energy version of the exact same round that is 2880fps.

Does anyone know anything about the new high energy round? I am considering trying it and switching to it just to have a little flatter shooting round and more knock down for (deer/pig hunting). I would not think it would add too much recoil? Any thoughts or considerations appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I guess it's worth a try, but I certainly wouldn't sacrifice any loss in accuracy to shoot a bullet that will drop a couple inches less at 400 yards than what you're shooting now.

what kind of groups are you getting out of those trophy bonded federals? I have yet to find a true hunting bullet that will shoot under an inch in my LTR. I've tried teh winchester ballistic silvertips, and the federal premium 165 grain (forget which bullet now??)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got about a 1 inch group, 3 touching and 1 flier out to an inch. The flier could have been me.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I think we make wayy too much out of a few FPS on bullets. The pig or deer or whathave you will never know what killed him. Shoot what you have been shooting and never look back.

Charlie

·
Registered
772 Posts
Man that would be some expensive ammo to shoot at pigs with.

Even if you do really get 180 fps more I doubt you would notice it. But if I were to go Elk hunting with a 308 that would be a load I'd look at if it shot well in my rifles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts