2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bad seas make good captains
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have had to keep paying yearly for my federal Reef fish and Migratory pelagics permits now for 22 years! Can a newly licensed captain even get these any more now that the "limited entry program" has been addopted by the Feds? And if not... what can a new captain do? fish in the bays and state waters only? What Ever!

Privateer

·
Administrator
23,853 Posts
If you are honestly interested in an accurate answer to your question, contact the Gulf Council. They will be able to steer you through all the in's and out's of the process. Your question isn't an easy one to answer, just be sure to document who you talked to and take notes. Be aware that a correct answer today, doesn't mean that next week, it will still apply. www.gulfcouncil.org

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vessel is permited, I have had to transfer the permits to three different boats now. I was told by the NMFS that I can transfer them between vessels of my own, but I can't sell the permits without selling the vessel with them!

Privateer

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Privateer,

A new Captain cannot get Fed. reef and coastal pelagic permits from the NMFS anymore. NMFS only renews the permits yearly for the permit holders. There was a moratorium placed on these permits in 2000. If a new captain wants to run a charter or headboat in federal waters, that captain must posess these permits and the only way to get these permits now is to buy them from someone who does have them and wants to sell them. The going rate is anywhere from 4,000.00-8,000.00. Usually the closer it gets to the summer months the more expensive they get. They can be transfered from boat to boat but cannot be transfered back to the same boat within a years time. You do not have to sell your permits with your boat. The permits belong to the eligible captain. However, to renew your permit yearly you have to have a boat registered or leased to your name or company to renew yearly.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Damon.

I didn't think it worked like the bay and bait shrimp permits run by TPW. But I wasn't sure. Guess I'll hang on to them and maybe sell them off when I retire from fishing the Gulf.

Privateer

·
Registered
222 Posts
Damon,

I believe you have it right once again. Permit holders just remember to renew as stated on your permits. Thanks for sharing your information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts