2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Wow

Could it be? Can it be? Somebody pinch me, I think I'm dreaming! If this IS the long awaited "corner" being turned, now is the time to turn watchdog, and keep the snapper population at current levels or slightly growing.Thanks for the post Liz, hope the reports not a hoax.-Mike

·
Higher Ed Honk
1,320 Posts
But, Crabtree cautioned, it remains to be seen whether the 2010 season will be any longer than the 2009 season, despite the improved catch limits, because recreational fishermen caught nearly 2 million pounds more than they were allowed this year.

And we know how spot-on that data is. Let's hope that multiple lawsuits will force them to come up with a better system. There's nothing inherently wrong in collecting data that isn't perfect by itself, but depending on one flawed metric to do what it's not even supposed to do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Consider yourself pinched.

"But, Crabtree cautioned, it remains to be seen whether the 2010 season will be any longer than the 2009 season, despite the improved catch limits, because recreational fishermen caught nearly 2 million pounds more than they were allowed this year."

Fatally flawed data rears its ugly head again.

There is still the 'management uncertainty' factor to be applied. The scientific uncertainty reduced the TAC by 25%. Management uncertainly could add from 5 to 25% more reduction to the TAC.

Sorry to sound less than optimistic about this.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Denny

I'm not overly optimistic either, more along the lines of doubtful, and looking just where the hook is hidden. I'd say Mr. Crabtree has only to gain, from erring on the overly cautious side, with relaxing limits and extending seasons. I'm honestly not expecting them to change things much at all next year. Now if I can just remember where I put that extra million pounds of snapper filets ?(lol)-Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Roy's game is so amazingly slick it is almost laughable. Roy comes out and says red snapper stocks have been replenished in record time and overfishing is almost a thing of the past. Major win !!!!! And since the stocks are replenished, we are going to raise the rec's tack from 2.5 mm lbs in 2009 to 3.5 mm lbs for 2010.

Now here is how he is going to play the numbers to screw us again. The rec's had a tac of 2.5 mm lbs in 2009 but you went out and caught 4.5 mm lbs (we all know this is complete bunk), so now you owe us the 2 mm lbs overage back. So in 2010 you are allowed 3.5 mm lbs but since you caught 2 mm over your limit last year, your adjusted tac for 2010 is 1.5 mm lbs. And since you caught 4.5 mm lbs in 75 days your 2010 season will now be 25 days long in 2010.

And here is the worst part of all this. If Roy's group is allowed to continually come up with these completely rediculous catch numbers, the rec's are going to be screwed forever. Before long we will be reaching our tac in a zero day season.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't be fooled with bread crumbs.

A sticking point for me is that fact that the SSC and their data showed that the OFL could be raised to 9.6 millioin pounds. When they broke out into their meeting they decided that they did not like those numbers and were not confident in the science so they voted to add a 27% error rate into the numbers and lowered the OFL from 9.6 million pounds to 6.9 million pounds. The TAC will be set at some point below that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts