2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into my first Top water bite last week and I must say I am addicted. I only caught about a half dozen on top but they were my first keeper ever on top. I had previously only caught a few dinks while fishing with TWs.

My question is what is your favorite bait/color.

I caught all the fish on a black Top-Dog jr. with a chartreus head. I also threw a blue w/ silver belly skitter walk with less success.

When I went to Academy to upgrade my Top water aresenal there were like 100 different colors. I figured I would asked you all your opinions rather than just buying what I thought looked good.

Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'll quote Jay Watkins on his three favorite top water colors, "Bone, bone, and bone." Personally, I like throwing the black/chart head at night or early in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fall is my favorite time of year to throw tops. I like the Skitterwalk "Golden Mullet", also know as Halloween or 808 in Mirrolures. To keep it simple however, you can't go wrong with carrying just a bone and a black.

I also like to throw chugging style tw's in the marsh, usually in chrome and blue.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Skitter walk and what ever color you have faith in. I like Bone, chart, halloween and pink when in south texas. Your better off getting a selection of sizes and types instead of an array of colors. 9 times out of 10 I dont think the color really matters.

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Confidence is the key, the longer you keep the lure on the end of the line the more advantage the color has. My favorites are...

1. Rough or dark water - She or HeDogs anything with chrom on them if the sun is shining, if not I'll go to a darker color.
2. Smooth clear water - I'll down size or go to a quieter lure like the Skitterwalks or Spook Jrs. I like the Trout Pattern and chart. Spook Jrs.
3. If the fish are feeding on Shad or shrimp use a Spook Jr. or a Spittin' Image. Here color usually doesn't matter.

I have a good buddy that clams he NEVER catches anything on topwaters...But then again he NEVER uses them.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
confidence, with few exceptions.......like stated before.....downsize, with lure size and lure sound, in clearer, calmer water.....and I like to go with more natural colors in super clear water........other than that...the rest is up to you......

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
I always come back to my tried and true White w/ a red head...

I usually use Top Dog Jr's but recently discovered the effectiveness of the Skitter Walk and am very impressed. Still, white w/ a red head is my color of choice.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Fresh2Salt said:
I usually use Top Dog Jr's but recently discovered the effectiveness of the Skitter Walk and am very impressed. Still, white w/ a red head is my color of choice.
skitterwalks, have also become my goto's, in just about any color I think the situation warrants.......and they make a nice red/white......or if you can only find the white.....a red sharpie, does the trick......I did that alot, before I found the pearl, with a red head.........

·
Registered
467 Posts
Color has less to do with it that the size of lure and the sound it makes. Larger baits = larger fish in gereral, however, sometimes the fish are patterning on smaller food and the biggest topwater in your box won't get hit. I've caught some pretty nice trout on she dogs but would rather cast a he-dog if I'm looking for a hog. I also agree with what everyone else is saying - less noise in clear, calm water. Mirrorlure's "dog" series are my personal favorites - white / chartruese & natural mullet color.

Another tip - if you are getting lots of hits but no hook ups switch to a catch 2000 worked just like a topwater.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Chrome/Chartreuse She Dog, Black Top Dog Jr. Also like Red/Yellow/Gold or Halloween 51MR in the surf or bay (actually a slow sinker but worth mentioning).

Second the comments that Bone or White w/Red Head anything is hard to beat (Dogs, Broken-backs, Skitter-walks, Spooks, Ghosts, etc) ... been around forever (remember the Heddon Lucky 13).

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
My go to for most places are Shedogs. bone/chrome/bone, black/chart. head, and my favorite Chart./pearl/chart. with red head.
I also throw skitterwalks black/chrome, pearl, red/pearl, etc.
For big fish I throw Super Spooks on a medium Kistler Helium, black, bone, chart. stripe back/flash/white.
Super Spook Jr.'s in all colors, bone, Chart.stripe/flash/white
I am currently trying to stop buying more topwaters because I've backslid from my "just say no to lures" program.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
kenny said:
My go to for most places are Shedogs. bone/chrome/bone, black/chart. head, and my favorite Chart./pearl/chart. with red head.
I also throw skitterwalks black/chrome, pearl, red/pearl, etc.
For big fish I throw Super Spooks on a medium Kistler Helium, black, bone, chart. stripe back/flash/white.
Super Spook Jr.'s in all colors, bone, Chart.stripe/flash/white
I am currently trying to stop buying more topwaters because I've backslid from my "just say no to lures" program.
jeez, if you wade, your belt must be huge.....lol.......that's alot of stuff to carry.....I thought I was the only one that carried almost my whole tackle box with me on a wade.......sigh....it's tough being tackle dependent.....

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
kenny said:
Got a good chuckle out of that one, kenny ... probably a lot of folks can relate.

If I don't get out more often to add some fillets to the freezer I'm only adding 1 more lure to the tackle box ... comes in red or gold ... I prefer it with the 10 second fuse. ;)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Bert,
the question wasn't directed toward wading but you're right, that would be a load to lug. Wading I carry 2-3 tops, 2 - 51MR's, 2-corkys, a spoon, and some soft plastics. Since I mainly wade early and late all I usually throw are topwaters.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Tw

Interesting about the Chug Bug. I've got one(not that color), but I've never even taken it out of the wrapper. Might have to try that. I'm very partail to Skitter Walks(black/gold or white). Also like the black/gold, black/silver, and chartreuse/silver She Dogs. Have been using a couple of the Super Spook Jr's lately also. One use to be black/silver, but fish have knocked most of the paint off of it and it is now pretty much a bone color. However, like others have said, it's all about confidence. If you don't think you're going to catch a fish on a topwater(or any othet lure for that matter), it doesn't matter what color it is. Also, downsize and go with lighter colors in calm, clear water and go with a larger, darker color in muddier, rougher conditions.

JMO

·
Registered
37 Posts
To tell you the truth Ive tried the charteuse color chugbug with no luck. If you dont have the blue one, I suggest you buy one. It will be well worth it.

Orlando

1 - 20 of 26 Posts