2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, everybody is getting the itch early this year for the white/striped bass/crappie spawn, me too!
This has to be the best year in a long time for the game fish population on Lake Livingston, the shad are actually under constant pressure struggling to keep a big school up there are so many predator fish dogging them.
The white bass spawn is one of the coolest of fishing games around many parts of the state. Each river has it's unique way of fishing to catch river hogs.
My favorite is to find a shoal on a small feeder creek that raises the elevation of the creek bottom and makes an uphill barrier that they have to cross. They gang up in massive schools just before and during the actual spawn.
When you fish right at the actual spawning grounds you can see the big females shimming in shallow water laying eggs.
IMHO it seems that the white bass take the journey up stream in stages, the next to the last stage is when they stage at the mouth of the creek where it enters the lake.
The first stage seems to take the South end white bass schools up to Walkers Lake and North to the old roadbed.
From there they are are like ghosts, people catch them at Riverside, then back in the area South of there, then in Nelson's Creek. It keeps kinda leapfrogging two steps forward and one back until they reach the mouth of the creek where most likely they were born. With white bass who were born in White Rock, Dad's Creek, etc dropping off along the way.
There they stage up and wait for the appropriate amount of creek flow to suspend their eggs and up they go!
I fish White Rock a lot for spawning white bass. There they will most likely be right around White rock City Marina and South, or all the way up past the "Keep right" sign.
Sometimes they are stretched out in between.
The spawn is almost always over when the flowers drop from the red bud trees.
When they are done with spawning they waste no time getting back to the lake. Somewhere around the middle of April they are suddenly here, and very hungry.
I usually get into them at the Lump first, but soon they will be anywhere on south end structure.
Below the Livingston Dam can be the best ever white bass spawn fishing however. Like in this pic from a couple of years back when I waded out and fished with a long rod for them.

I had just recovered from a surgery and actually paid a kid $5.00 to carry those fat bass up the hill by where Southland Park used to be.
So what's your favorite place?
SS

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
My favorite place is the north end of Conroe above Stubblefield park because it is not far from my house. I can still launch my Kenner in the mud hole there. Next would be between Bedias Creek and below the dam at Livingston. I have also caught a lot of them down the river below the dam. That little crankbait that I throw will kill them in cold and muddy water.

Matt

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't wait to try that little crankbait this spawn mattsfishin, quite an impressive lure for sure.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,895 Posts
Wow, it is tough to pin down a favorite. I originally became addicted to white bass fishing due to spawners in Bedias Creek back in the 70's.

However, I think the Lock & Dam AREA has to be my favorite now. I say area because what I really find magical is when the river is up and to try the creeks up that way. When you pull up to a creek mouth and it looks like iced tea in the creek coming out into the chocolate milk of the river, it can be unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I also agree with wbf on lock and dam. I have been fortunate to catch the river high enough to fish above the lock and dam. great fishing up there if you catch it just right.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,895 Posts
MDLK will have fun on the Sabine though. As much as I love Livingston and the Trinity, the Sabine river spawners probably average bigger.

·
I see spots....
471 Posts
One of my favorite spots growing up was at a small River by my house called the San Gabriel River. It empties into Lake Georgetown in Central Texas... Like SS said, around the time the rose buds bloomed, we would already be wading around the river waiting for the first big rain to bring on the white bass run... It was always a challenge for the most part because of the clarity of the water, the whites would only hit small minnow imitations or seined river minnows, they were always a blast on an ultralight

Kody

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you mean about spawning white bass and clear water making for the best time to use ultra light tackle. they can be tougher than specks about picky eating habits in clear water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts