2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a "Redhead" safe just over a year ago from a major department outfitter store and "Redhead" is your clue!

It has a digital keypad on the front made in high quality plastic from China, you know the type. It appears "after warranty has expired" that the battery is draining monthly and seems always needing replaced. A single 9V by the way.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I enter the safe 15 times / month but you would think the battery would last longer then that. Any thoughts on the matter 2Coolers?

And NO taking it back is not an option, nearly killed me getting it where it is now!

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,321 Posts
i have a redhead safe with the same lock .. i've opened it nearly twice a day for 2 years ... and i think it still has the 1st battery put in it when i bought it.

I remember looking for a biometric (thumbprint) reader for mine a while back and found out the keypad is also used on another big name safe brand ... but for the life of me i can't remember who it was, and i'm 2000 miles from my safe right now to look at it.

what i'm getting at is you shouldn't have to replace the entire safe.. you can replace the keypad, and i'm not sure about your bass pro .. but the big one where i live in springfield is usually pretty helpful when it comes to that sort of thing

·
Registered
254 Posts
Try Granite Security Products
They are in Ft Worth. They make safes for several different companies.

Mine is labled as Winchester and it has that digital keypad. Had mine for about 2 years with no problems at all.

·
The Camo'd Texan
520 Posts
safes

Try Granite Security Products
They are in Ft Worth. They make safes for several different companies.

Mine is labled as Winchester and it has that digital keypad. Had mine for about 2 years with no problems at all.
Yea, Granite makes the Redheads, not sure if they still are, but you can check on the back of the safe in the top right or left corner,should be a sticker with the manfactures name...

...personally the Redhead digitals had more problems then they were good, ...i worked for bps for 5 years and it seems liked we got calls about something wrong the redhead digitals all the time....but never really the others, dont know why but who knows...

and by the way ,you can make BPS come pick it up and replace it free of charge.. i personally had to do it 5 or 6 times while i was there cause of angry customers with safe problems...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
thats one of the main reasons I never bought a digital push button safe. Good luck. I would call corporate and get the problem fixed proto. If you push hard they will take care of you. Mention this post on 2cool. (and then send mont a hell of a christmas gift)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Temporary fix

For now, just get a 12 volt gel-cell battery (like for deer feeders) a six volt one might work also.
Set it on a shelf or on the floor , use some lamp cord to a 9 volt plug.
You can drop the 12 volt down by putting some LEDs in line.
Academy sells the small one for $7 and the 12v is about $13.

Guarantee it won't die anytime soon.

BB

·
Dont hate the player... hate the game...
2,092 Posts
first, calm down.
then call granite in dallas, tell them what brand lock is on your safe, they will drop a new one in the mail to you for free...
those locks are sensitive to what type batteries are installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts