1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's one:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72113&highlight=

and more of the same:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72133

And also there was a story on TKF of a guy fishing BTB and he hooked into a shark that took him somewhere between a mile or a mile and a half offshore. The guy had his gps and depthfinder on his kayak and clocked the big shark pulling him at around 4-5 miles per hour. Sorry I couldn't find that thread, I believe it was last summer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't do BTB(beyond the breakers) fishing like some but i had a pretty *****in sleigh ride from a 29" red in about 18" of water once. Sure was fun. I let him just pull and pull until he wore himself out then just reeled him in. LOL

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,379 Posts
haparks said:
i was woundering if any one out there has ever hooked a big fish in a yak and took the yak ride of a lifetime--i mean tightened the drag all the way down and went water skiing in a yak--call me crazy but --that sounds exciting--if u have done this please tell me ur story:birthday2
Many times, have been pulled close to two miles before. Watch the shark board, I post up reports of me and others catching large fish from kayaks all the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
haparks said:
i was woundering if any one out there has ever hooked a big fish in a yak and took the yak ride of a lifetime
All the time! And once you do it once, you'll want to do it again, and again, and again...

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,379 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Ha, I bought a OK speck from academy 4 or 5 months back.

At first they feel a bit unstable, but after you paddle around awhile you will wonder why ya havent tried out the little plastic boat before!
I kinda modified mine with training wheels and a more comfy seat.
Let me know if you want to test drive/paddle it.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Heck, hooking into a 3-4 pound bass in 15 feet of water is a blast in a yak. Especially as you're reeling it in and it gets within a few feet of the boat, and then the fish sees the boat and dives under it! You're trying to keep your balance while fighting the fish, it is a rodeo!

3 weeks ago I was at anchor in my WS Tarpon 120 and a 20" red dragged me about 20 yards! Catching nice fish out of a power boat just doesn't have the same thrill that it used to after that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In May, I had a 8'-9' gator take my skitterwalk and then he proceeded to take me for a sleigh ride about 30-40 yds down a bayou channel. He finally laid down on the bottom and I cut my braid as I glided by. It was pretty awesome both watching him take it and then the ride afterwards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts