2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned earlier, I never thought I would have much use to shoot really fast sequences of photos. If shooting the Superbowl, maybe - but I don't see that happening any time soon.

My old camera shoots 3fps and that has always seemed sufficient. I could shoot a bird with wings flapping and usually at 3fps, at least one frame would come out just as I would like. When I upgraded to my new camera, the 8fps capability seemed cool, but I just disregarded it as something I would probably never use.

This weekend I decided to try it out just for grins. The dogs were having a blast playing in the water down at the coast and it seemed like a good opportunity just to play around with it. Besides, it was the middle of the day and the sun had just come out from behind the rain clouds and I wasn't going to shoot anything great with the harsh light. Why not burn up some memory?

My first thoughts were loss of image quality because to shoot at 8fps, I must put the camera in "high speed crop" mode. This basically works like the digital zoom on point and shoot cameras. Only half of my sensor would be used, therefore reducing the overal size/resolution of each image. One neat thing about this is that it turned my 70-200mm f2.8 into a 400mm f2.8. Will I use it to make up focal length in the future? No - I would rather shoot the full-size photo and then crop on the computer if needed later (even though that's cheating!)

So here are the results.....

The first photo is 50% of the full-size photo straight off the camera. I cropped for displaying here, but you can see the actual photo at the bottom for reference.

and just for grins, here is a couple of the sequences animated just a hair slower than they were actually shot at:

It's kind of like watching video showing every third frame. Don't stare too much, it will make you dizzy!

My conclusion:

Fast bursts may be useful for shooting birds and sports, but I think 3-5fps is plenty fast for me. I would rather shoot the full-size image at 5fps or slower and have more to work with.

I did find this somewhat amusing though, and I just thought I would share.

Brett

1 - 1 of 1 Posts