2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cut my tomatoes down to about 10" from ground to see if they would put on new growth and make tomatoes for fall.anybody tried this and had any luck? going to set out some new ones just in case.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I was told by someone who should know that cutting back summer plants will work great for fall tomatos...but it didn't work well for me. The new fall plants, on the other hand, turned out OK.

ntd

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pull em up & plant news ones for the fall... I put mine in by Labor day weekend & usually ripe by Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
tomatoes are pretty much a one shot deal. they will survive until fall but usually won't do as well as new plants. even new plants do not do as well in the fall as in the spring.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I would love to have a fall crop, but the low trajectory of the sun causes the sunlight to be blocked by a couple of trees so the plants are shade-bound. I've tried earlier plantings, but nothing has seemed to work.

SwampRat!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I don't know but I'm just about ready to pull my tomato plants up and cast them into the fire. This dry, intense hot sun light here in New Mexico....I have to water them everyday. The first planting froze on a late freeze. The second attempt came down with that yellow fungus so up they came. I even spent $40.50 for a ten pound bag of desert cave bat guano fertilizer! LOL! That stuff's bad.

Jalapenos and my onions and my watermelons are going nuts!! No watermelons yet but at this rate it won't too long.

Come on Lord just about a dozen tomatoes and thats all! amen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts