2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered Users-PM plus
9,163 Posts
I planted some late corn (Silver King) a week and a half ago. What are y'all putting in the ground for fall/winter?
I just harvested part of my third planting of sweet corn. The heat and low humidity took its toll but still had a very nice harvest of what I call late corn.

You are going to be facing some tough conditions for the next few weeks. Corn does not do well above about 95 deg. and we haven't seen 95 as a high for several weeks of 100 and above.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Food Corn Sweet corn Corn on the cob Corn kernels

9,163 Posts
What time frame do yall have for starting fall and winter plants
I'm still nursing along some heat tolerant tomatoes (Heatmaster) which aren't producing much but should pick up production in Sept. and Oct. Also, have several jalapeno and bell pepper plants which produced heavily until recently but now are kind of in limbo and will pick up production in Sept. and Oct.

I planted some blue lake pole beans (about 50 ft trellis) and 8-inch cucumbers (about ten ft trellis) today in the garden looking for October harvesting. Also, will start some Malabar spinach (about 10 ft trellis) tomorrow which should produce through to cool weather.

I'll start several "heat tolerant" lettuce varieties e;g, romaine, buttercrunch, little gem in a couple of weeks from seed. These won't go into the garden until temps drop in Sept.

Broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower plants will go in the garden starting in Sept. and stagger planted for continuous harvest through winter. I'll plant Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec. for continuous harvesting through to spring.

Late Sept./early Oct. I'll plant turnips, carrots, beets, radishes, and chard from seed.

I'd like to get my alfalfa cover crop (August through next March) going soon but it has just been extremely dry so I'm holding off planting the seed. I'm hoping for even just a little shower to get the seed started as well as another area of Sunn Hemp (August through Oct) cover crop. I normally have about half of my garden space in cover/rotation/soil replenishment at any given time.

1015 Onions in November hopefully following in the Sunn Hemp cover and new potatoes next February following alfalfa cover ...that's my line up through to next spring.

· Registered
3,596 Posts
Shade If you live near Conroe I have a couple green malabar spinach ( 4 inch pots ) and maybe a red one if you want to stop by. They will grow all summer. Also have some extra roselle and they like the sun. Luffas will grow but it might be a little late for a good harvest. As mentioned by others blue lake beans are a good choice and the chinese red noodle beans. I also have some toothache plants just now spouting. I have them in large tubs but those are mine. The ones just sprouting are in 4 inch pots.

· Taking shots at fish
2,323 Posts
I like to direct seed spinach, carrots, bok choi, arugula, mustards, radish, lettuce, kale, Chinese cabbage, etc. I’m right on the coast and really like to wait until at least November for most of it, Sow in November and December for a lot of these cool season types. Maybe I’ll stick in some seed towards the end of October. It stays hot or pretty warm here typically way into November and even December if recent years are a guide. Hardly get freezes and those tend to be January and February events here. Most the cool season crops can take a little frost anyway.

I’ll pick up a six pack or two of cabbage and broccoli. Maybe I‘ll direct seed some in September. I don’t like messing with the grow lights indoors but one time a year around January 1st and that’s for the spring tomatoes and peppers.

I’ve got a few pepper and tomato sets going now Outdoors. Not sure how many of each will actually get planted. My spring tomatoes and peppers, some of them, I might just carry through into the fall. Maybe I’ll stick in some pole or bush filet bean seeds here towards the end of the month or early September. Onion sets go in around Thanksgiving. Those were such a hit this season that I’m doubling up the amount for next year. Sort of a low fuss crop, but most people can use onions and they store well.

9,163 Posts
It's a good year for fall tomatoes here. That early Sept front enabled good fruit set and the lack of frost is allowing them to ripen steadily every day.

Some years it works and some not. The longer we go without frost makes this year better and better.

Food Plant Rangpur Fruit Ingredient

A few more toad pumpkins

· Taking shots at fish
2,323 Posts
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Dish

Food Fruit Natural foods Ingredient Wood

I’m getting a trickle of tomatoes still, in spite of the week plus of 15 degree below normal temperatures we recently experienced. The plants could sure use a few warmer and more sunny days. I have about 30 or 40 fruit on the two plants, Beefmaster and Big beef. Beefmaster is the clear winner on foliage vigor. Both plants were set out in February 2022.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts