2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a question and would love your thoughts. I currently fish Falcon coastal spinning rods. Primarily the 7" and 7'6" coastal edition spinning rods. I am looking to get a longer rod to gain some distance in casting. I am looking to pair up this rod with one of my new Stradic 2500 reels. I am looking at Falcons 8" coastal rod along with G.Loomis' Greenwater rod that is 8'2" in length. There is a huge price difference in these two rods. The Falcon is $150 and the G.Loomis is $265. My best friend has a G.Loomis and loves it. I hear alot of people swear by them. I'm not sure though if a couple of added inches in length would make that much of a difference in casting length over the Falcon. Plus the price is much higher. I wanted to see if any of you 2coolers have any experiences or thoughts with these two rods and what you would do? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I actually own the greenwater mag light 8 2 but I do not like using it in on the boat in bay fishing situations. It is too big to cast around all day. I use it with my stella 4000 chasing around lil tunny jacks kings and chix dolphin in teh summer. I would recommend staying with the 7 6 for bay situations. However I can chunk a spoon 50 yards with ease. It is a casting machine. The only time I use it inshore situations if I am surf wading because of the length of the cast. Reaching the second bar is easy while standing on the first bar. If you want to own a quality rod definitely buy G-loomis.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig, thanks for the information. That was really helpful. Thanks again and good luck fishing.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I like St. Croix spinning rods. My deal is I can't throw a longer than 7 footer or I get wind-knots. My language falls off from there. I don't know anything about Falcon rods. I recently bought a G. Loomis and it is the best rod I have ever owned. It is a casting rod called the Topwater Series. $240.00 Good luck! CF?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you should stick with the Falcon coastal rod. I bought 6 Falcon rods after the Sales Rep demonstrated the Strength of them to me. I still fish all of them. I bought a 7'6" GLoomis GLX and it broke on some trash at the bottom a canal I was fishing. The GLoomis rep said he could not replace it because I had Customized the rod. All I did to it was put some measuring stickers on it. I love my falcon coastal series rods.

·
Fish, Eat, Sleep...REPEAT!!
476 Posts
I love my falcon and the customer service is the best I have seen...
I broke a rod once, mostly my fault.......ok,all my fault...they replaced it without question with a brand new rod!!

·
Banned
2,534 Posts
It's my understanding Falcon is the largest rod builder in the world, or at least the

U.S. As a result, they can buy their supplies much cheaper and produce the end product much cheaper. I own several Falcons, a G-Loomis, and others, and they are all great high quality products. You just need to find out which rod produces the result you want and is built with good quality guides, handle, finish, etc. There are probably not two rods that will respond the exact same way. Also, sometimes you can cast farther with a shorter rod. The length of the rod is sometimes a hinderance in casting distance, due to the particular bait or line you are using.
Buy the rod that accomplishes what you want to do and don't worry about who it was manufactured by, and then take care of it. As far as warranties are concerned, I recently learned from a much younger B-I-L of mine that Academy will replace any broken or damaged rod purchased from them with no questions asked. I've only broken two rods in my life, one a G-Loomis and the other one a Falcon I purchased from Academy. BTW, the broken Falcon occurred after I learned Academy would replace it free and G-Loomis replaced the other one for a small fee many years ago. Good luck on your choice of rods.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Acadamey Changed there return policies.
You have to have a reciept of the rod now to return it.
I took a broken 5 year old Allstar Titanium in to exchange it for something comparable. They told me that it had to have been purchased in the last 3 months or I had to have a reciept.

·
Registered
579 Posts
hey blue how are you doing. i dont think 6 inches will help that much. i am using 6-6 rods bait casting rods and everyonce in a while use a 7. good luck and good catching

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
There are volumes on rod warranties and lack of them on the board.

Some of peple have as affiliation in the rods they recommend- part owners or sponsored by that rod company.

I would say check the replacement warranty out after you find a few different rods that you like.

McBride got me into some of the FTU custom rods (gray and green rods) and I had the one McBride demoed break the first cast. Walked in and had it replace in 5 minutes. Down side is I had to drive to FTU. NO problems since.
yep- Mike Worked the FTU booth and gets some rods for his customers to use on his trips if needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts