2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would u guys say is a fair cast in the surf? 100 yrds? im new with casting surf rods and im kinda having a little trouble. i know i just need practice and maybe some better line. im shootin for 100yrds w/bait n leader so i need to know if im not over doing it lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
depending on what you are casting for weight and bait that is easily achievable you just need to practice I can get somewhere in the area of 150 to 175 yards with a clipped down pulley rig and about 4 oz of lead. using the off the ground casting technique its not near as powerful as a pendulum but I have not tried it yet.

Ramon

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
You are doing auwsome if you are casting 100 yards with bait into the surf. I can do small pieces of bait in the range of 100 yards but nothing over the size of a pony mullet. That is with a pendulum cast

Usually I will cast a 12 inch whiting or similar and I will wade to the first bar and cast.

The sinker by itself I can reach 500 feet consistantly. With fishbites in the winter time I can sing my setup well into the second gut for pompano.

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im tossin a 10'6 tica w/daiwa bg90 (spinning) spooled w/40# braid. i need new line cause i used to have 125yrds of braid backed with 25#bg but i got some nasty abrasion in the braid so i had to pull alot of it off. so now im casting the all of what i got left of braid then the backing comes out and i think its slowing down the cast.
i also need some breakaway rigs or something. i practice the off the ground cast as well w/4oz.

for now im a little hesitant to cast something large such as a 12" whitting cause on sunday i tried to cast half a pup ray w/6oz and my rod snapped in half on the cast. so im stickin w/4oz and a fillet or chunk of mullet or something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mando

I all depends on the equipment you use and the most important things is learning proper technique. There are basically 3 types of casts and any of them will produce results. If you are serious about getting distance you need to get together with one of the tournament casters. There is a tournament in Crystal Beach (on the Bolivar peninsula just across the ferry from Galveston) in September then the following weekend there is one in Corpus. Any of the casters will give you all of the advice you ask for. They are the friendlest bunch of people you'll ever meet. Try www.breakawayusa.com or www.sfcci.org for details and answers to your questions.

Artie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts