2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....just wondering if these eyes on jig heads in the bay system make any difference at all. I was in Academy a while ago and noticed the jug heads they had out and they look pretty good.....but does it catch more fish or fisherman?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I Had A Friend Not Too Long Ago....

who bought about a dozen Rockport Rattlers and gave them to me. Several of them had big red eyes and some had gold eyes. I figured since they were free (cough, cough) I'd try 'em. Well after I crushed off the metal tube containing the so-called rattling beads inside, I fished with them and caught a respectable number of trout. I believe it draws more attention with the eyes than without.

The screw-on jig heads are the best. Norton and the others need to add big'ol gold and/or red eyes to their jigheads. Dern, I wanta' go fishin'! CF?

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats a good question. The eyes on the jig heads that I use have a tendency to fall off at some point, but i've caught fish before and after. Also if you notice alot of top water lures and suspending lures have big eyes so i guess they have deliberately put them on them for a reason. However I've seen people catch fish all day with jig heads without them. I guess its a matter of preference.
peace

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
On the last offshore trip with Farmer Jim I was using a half ounce jighead tipped with squid for dolphin. It was yellow with a red eye. And it was not as hot as the leadheads everyone else were using. I use lead heads in the bay. I don't think the color matters. IMHO.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
I think it matters.

Fly fisherman use a term, "Match the Hatch" meaning, duplicate whats swimming around as bait. Fish dont allways bite because they are hungry. Sometimes they bite out of instinct. Like if a baitfish is injured. A red eye looks like the bait is injured, bloody. Add that to a presentation making the bait looks like its floundering, injured, and you will get more strikes. Add a tiny piece of shrimp to the hook, and you will definitly get more strikes. :)

·
Banned
607 Posts
As everyone knows, the only thing that matters with a jighead is that it has a rattle in it! LOL...now you know that is a joke! I really haven't seen much of a diffrence, guess it depends what mood or pattern the fish are in, real aggressive I don't think it will matter, if they are finiky(sp?) then it may...Good Topic

·
What about my member?
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the replies. I had been wondering about this as I heard that offshore it makes a pretty big difference, but bay waters?? I personally have never used them but they sure did look nice on the shelf. I am kind of partil to the ol' standard Norton jig heads. I may try some just to see though. You guys have a good day and try to stay dry!

-Brian

·
Registered
144 Posts
Eyes on jigs

I just picked up some new jig heads from Strike King at BPS (on the isle next to the back wall). They're screw locks with red or chart. heads and red eyes. Tried them last week in between rain showers and was impressed vs my buddy throwing the same bait/color with Norton Lazer Locks.

On the downside the screws they use are HUGE which messes up your baits pretty good. Forget about biting the head off and using it again with these.

If Norton came out with eyes on theirs I'd buy them over the standard but I won't get the Strike Kings again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.