2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we were idling down the channel for a sunset cruise at spi and developed a fuel leak under the cowling apparently which started a fire. The fire was short lived and no one was hurt and no damage was done to the boat itself but it has made a mess of the the wiring etc on the powerhead. I am no arson investigator but it appears to have leaked from the fuel injection system from the middle injector on the left side. It is a 2001 225 evinrude ficht model. Anyone have any words of advice about dealing with the insurance company and hidden damage?

I knew of a recall for 1999 & 2000 models involving fuel injectors and fires and asked the dealer if we needed the recall kit and he told me no. Now I wonder if he knew what he was talking about.

We were just lucky it did not happen earlier in the day, we had been offshore and if it had happened when we were at full throttle we might have had an explosion and fire instead.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Call Acie @ Acies Outboards. (a board search should find him)

I'm sure that he will tell you what to photograph and what to look for. He is the v. best OMC/BRP guy that I know of.

If it were mine I would take it to him to do the report for the insurance co.

steve.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Not too long ago there was a recall because some purchasing agent ordered the wrong bolts for the injectors, which was most of the cause for the first ficht problems. Dealers had a replacement kit that was installed. Sounds like you missed that recall.

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,409 Posts
We have a 2004 225 Evinrude (not E-tec) and received a recall in the mail for something similar. We called Acie and gave him our s/n and he said we didn't need it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input, I consider the 2cool family to be one of the best resources I have on my side.

I found the recall and it was issued in July of last year. I did not recieve it! Better check your serial numbers.

BRP US Inc. in the United States and Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. in Canada (collectively "BRP") are conducting a voluntary safety recall of certain 2001, 2004, and 2005 model year Evinrude outboards.

July 11, 2005

AFFECTED MODELSModel YearEvinrude Direct
Injection Models2001 (SI)200, 225, 250 HP
2004 (SR)200, 225, 250 HP
2005 (SO)100, 115 HP
135, 150, 175 HP
200, 225, 250 HP
Dear Evinrude® Registered Owner:

This notice has been sent to you because you purchased an Evinrude outboard motor listed in the table to the right and affected by this recall.

What is the reason for this notice?

BRP US Inc. in the United States and Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. in Canada (collectively "BRP") are conducting a voluntary safety recall of certain 2001, 2004, and 2005 model year Evinrude outboards. Our records indicate that you are the owner of an affected product.

What is the problem?

Under certain operating conditions, a fuel injector fastener could loosen and/or break, causing a potential fuel leak, and resulting in a fire or explosion, both of which may cause serious personal injury. Replacement fuel injector fasteners are required to correct this problem. This recall does not affect any Evinrude E-TECTM outboards.

What should you do?

In order to ensure you do not experience any difficulties with your engine, immediately call an authorized Evinrude/Johnson dealership to set up an appointment for the fasteners to be replaced. This work will be performed at no charge to you for parts and labor. Transportation of the boat to the dealer and related hauling expenses are the responsibility of the owners.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error.

This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. Your Evinrude outboard(s) must have these fuel injector fasteners inspected and replaced, if necessary. If you no longer own your Evinrude outboard, kindly complete and return the enclosed postage-paid reply card, so we may update our records and contact the current owner about this important safety recall.

Need assistance locating an authorized dealer?

To contact your nearest Evinrude/Johnson Dealer, please visit www.evinrude.com, or you can contact us via phone at 847-689-7090.

This notice applies to all current owners of the affected Evinrude outboards. Accordingly, if you have sold your outboard, please notify the purchaser of this recall.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this recall may cause you.

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/Recall.Information/1/Recall_11-07-2005.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts