2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the lease got to go all by myself WOW now i recall what quiet really is.My sense of sight and hearing were on 100% saw things i never had cause i was simply paying more attention. MAN those mud tires were loud on the way home.

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Yep but it can get boring and hunting with the buds is what I enjoy most about it. I have to be in the mood(determined) to go by myself. You are exactly correct about being quite. I tend to go to bed around 8pm instead of midnight when I'm at the lease alone. LOL.

·
Pirate Looking At 40
611 Posts
That sounds about right . On our place during the season most nights everybody seems to be cutting the lights by 9 . Does that sound lame or maybe we are just getting old ? I will say those nights of long hours around a campfire telling stories are missed when you are there alone .
But I do like to make a trip alone atleast once a year just for the quite of my own thoughts.

Reactions: Bucksnort

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I travel alone quite a bit so I have plenty of "windshield time" alone with my thoughts. I'm not real keen on going to the lease alone however as there are too many things that can go wrong. In the past I have fallen out of stands, flipped a 4 wheeler on top of myself in a creek and other various "incidents". Always been OK but you never know - the thought of laying on the ground for days with a broken back or pinned under a tractor just doesn't appeal to me any more. I will admit that I didn't think much about those things years ago when I was bulletproof.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
I have been the only one on the ranch and I have also hunted a lease where one guy always showed up and challenged your right to hunt where you wanted, even though you arrived before and marked the map.

I'd take alone between the two.:headknock

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
It's nice to go and be alone every once in a while. I spent a week in POC by myself about 8 years ago......sure was nice.

This post makes me think of the hunting show Foxworthy hosts.....he and the guy that owns/runs Tecomate ranch are sitting in some rocking chairs and one say , "You hear a phone", the other says "you hear a car horn", "etc".................."nope"

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I hunt alone a bunch due to my schedule-usually off on weekdays. i actually prefer it as I tend to hunt harder since there is nothing else to distract me. I am heading out about 4 am for 2 days of bow hunting by myself and can't wait. The only bummer is not having anyone around to celebrate when you stiick a big one. It also sucks tracking a wounded hog by yourself at midnight-did that last year and it wasn't much fun.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I go by myself all the time. you can enjoy the fire and all the stars better by yourself... not to mention a libation or two!

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
Also, if you have never done it, sit in your blind for an extra hour after dark during the next full moon. Do not turn on any lights at all. It's amazing how well your eyes adjust.

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
I like to go by myself, last year my days off were t,w,t,f now this year my days off are f,s,s. I will be hunting with others on my lease this year that should be fun sitting around and shooting the bs. Hurry up Nov 1st I can't wait.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hunt in Mexico and I still try to go by myself as much as possible. The drive is a little tiring, but the time spent hunting and riding around looking without anyone else to worry about is great. Midway thru last years season, I went down and spent 4 days alone and found a deer stand that had been in place for a long time that we had never seen! and it was only 50 yds off our fence !!!

Seems like when the other people are around everyone is rushing around to either hunt, cook, drink until their blind or do so much work that it is almost like a job.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Going it alone!

:dance: I love going out to the lease alone. Just gives me time to really think and unwind and enjoy nature at it's best..reminise of all the old times when most of my good hunting buddies were still alive..life is short so live it to the fullest..

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
Haute Pursuit said:
I go by myself all the time. you can enjoy the fire and all the stars better by yourself... not to mention a "libation" or two!
my simple mind had to look that word up. all this time i've been libatating. cool

·
Me want redfish...
1,094 Posts
Haute Pursuit said:
not to mention a libation or two!
What? libation?? Is that one of 'em fancy yankee words for drinking??

Here is the south... We call it gettin trashed... hammered... sloshed... toasted... blasted...

Hunting alone is great on occassion. I remember when we had a lease in San Saba and I spent a couple days working and hunting alone. I love to hunt on foot and that was the only time I could. It's great because no one is likely to disturb your hunt.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I haven't been to the lease by myself since last weekend...

Went down Friday night, stayed thru Sunday. Had other hunters show up Saturday for the day, but had it to myself Saturday evening and Sunday. Nice balance, especially since it's only an hour and a half from the house. I find all kinds of reasons to head down to the lease.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I have always had a place in my heart for the alone time I have had in the mountains and in the woods...On the river or sitting in elephant grass in the summer along the rivers here... If there is one place where I can truly enjoy being alone, its in the woods, on the river or simply being out in nature. Here are a few quotes I like...

Henry David Thoreau:In wildness is the preservation of the world.

Henry David Thoreau: Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.

Anne Frank: The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.

Claude Monet: The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration.

Linda Hogan: There is a way that nature speaks, that land speaks. Most of the time we are simply not patient enough, quiet enough, to pay attention to the story.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I actually like to be at the lease by myself most times especially if all the chores are done. Like viking said, as I get a little longer in the tooth, I worry about getting hurt. I find that I go at a slower pace when by myself. I see more game. I love to squirrel hunt when alone. I can eat, sleep, etc. at my on pace/time. It seems the best times are when I spend the week days at the lease alone and everyone starts coming in Friday afternoon. It is a nice mix.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
It might be cause I am kind of a loner, I really enjoy hunting alone. back years ago there were many days that I was able to hunt days during the week and was always alone. Kind of sucked loading hog on a wheeler but sure is great to know I can make it on my own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts