2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"Roach"
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try and do my own euro mount on the management buck I killed a few weeks back. My question is what's the best stuff to boil it out with, I've never done one myself and any info would be greatly appreciated. -Roach

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use a big pot and boil it on a crawfish burner outside. I think the trick s to not have the water boiling, only a light simmer and it takes a while to do. cut all the hide off to start with and be patient. after several hours the meat will start to fall off the bone kind of like when a roast is done the use the water hose or air compressor to blow out the brains. do not get to hot or the bone and skull will become brittle and the horns will discolor.

Good luck

Mr sailfish

·
Gone Fishing
12,001 Posts
Thats a good looking deer, spend the 150 bucks and get someone that does it. Kill a spike and try it yourself, JMO

·
"Roach"
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mr Sailfish, I have that part down but I have had people tell me to boil it with something called borax added to the water and not to use bleach because it makes the bone brittle. Does anyone know if borax is any good or is there something better to add to it. -Roach

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Boiling is not the best practice, but if you are going to do it, you can use lime powder in the water. My cus is a med student and they use it to clean cadaver bones.

After the tissue falls off, use 40% poroxide(buy at sally's beauty supply) on the bone only. Buy a galon and cover the skull(not the horns) and leave it soaking for about 5 - 7 days. After the soaking in poroxide is done, wash with a hose to remove the chemical and soak in water with baking soda to neutralize the chmical. If the baking soda is not used, the poroxide will continue eating the bone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When u boil use 1/2 cup of dawn soap to cut the grease . Boil on low and after an hour or two scrape off some of the meat that is soft. Then resume boil repeat until skull is clean. You can buy skull bleach kits at gander mt. That will bleach them white . Then when done spray skull with acrylic and will keep from fadeing yellow after a few years.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well I dont like giving away my secrets but to do a european mount is fairly simple. First remove the hide by making a cut from the base of each hor to the back of the neck that joins in a V. Then use a big flat head screw driver and a hammer around the base of the horns by tapping the screwdriver under the skin up against the base then pry the skin off (easiest way to skin around the pommels) finish skining out the head.
Next remove as much meat as possible along with the bottom jaw and eyes. Now you just have the skull. Get you a turkey fryer or fish fryer burner and a # wash tub and fill it with enough water to cover the skull and try to keep the level below the horns. Then add the secret ingredient pH Plus about 2 1/2 to 3 cups can be purchased at any home depot, wal mart or pool supply store for around $15. Bring this mixture to a slow rolling boil for about 30-45 minutes. Caution this will bring the pH of the water to base solution of around 11 or 12 wear rubber gloves (Yellow Dish Washing gloves work well) Remove the head from the water and the roof of the mouth and nose cartlidge should be loose, pull this off (be gentle with the nose area not to break the bones. You can also hold the skull by the antlers and give it a couple of shakes like shaking out ketchup this will usually dislodge the brains. Use a water hose with a jet nozzle to blast the meat from the back side of the skull around the ear canals and brain cavity. For cleaning out the nasal cavity TURN THE WATER DOWN TO VERY LOW PRESSURE WITH IT ON JET STREAM AND GENTLY WASH OUT THE NASAL CAVITY. if you dont it can damage the skull nasal area. There will be some meat still left on the skull at this point, just place it back in the boiling water for another 20mins or so and repeat, pay attention to how the skull feels it will be in a fragile state at this time (do not drop it or you will be putting it back together like a puzzle when it drys). use a pearing knife to pick the finer small pieces of meat off the back of the skull. Then let the skull dry for 24-36 hours. Go to you local beauty supply shop (I use Sally's beauty supply) and pick up a box of nitrile gloves or use the dish washing gloves and buy some 40 volume developer (40% hydrogen Peroxide this will burn your skin wear gloves and safety glasses or goggles and do not inhale the powder basic white and a tub of generic Basic White about 3 of the supplied scoops to cup of developer. Or you can by the pre mixed solution which is 40 volume cream developer. Your beauty supply bill will run you about $30-$35. Then paint the solution onto the skull avoiding getting it on you or the antlers, apply very librally then with wet some paper towels with the solution and wrap the skull with the paper towels and place into a 30 gallon garbage bag. secure the bag around the underneath side base of the antlers let sit for 36 hours and rinse with fresh water the adjustable water sprayer set on shower mode with the water only about half way on. Dont forget to wear your chemical personal protective equipment chemical gloves and goggles. this stuff can cause chemical burns to your skin and damage your eyes. After rinsing let dry for approx 36 hours and you will have a very white skull. Then mount to a board or plaque of your choice. I have completed about 15 if these along with boars heads and elk they turn out very nice. You will have enough supplies to do approx 4 Euro's so if you have extra skulls boil them all at once. If you do accidentally get it on the antlers walnut gel stain or similar shades dependant on the color of the antlers will fix the repair. If you break a bone plate use 1 or 5 minute epoxy to glue it back together after it dries. Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
48 Posts
get as much fat off the skull as possible..change the water between boils and get as much meat off as possible..add dawn every time to cut grease and fat..foil works good as a top to bring to a boil faster..after it is as clean as you like it let it dry for a few days..then start the bleaching process..but it should already be almost white...all other recomendations mentioned above is good info..trev

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dad did one last year and it turned out GREAT! I did a skull cap the same way and it worked too. Cape the skull, boil it in water over a crawfish burner for a while with the antlers out of the water (you'll know when it's ready). Change the water and do it again. You may need to get a coat hanger to get out all of the meat. Once you're done boiling, go to Sally's Beauty Supply (I know, sounds a little San Fransisco...) and ask for the strongest hair bleach PASTE they have. Mine's True Blue or something like that. Mix the bleach into a paste, paint it on (DO NOT GET IT ON THE ANTLERS!!!!!!) and let it sit for a day. Repeat until desired white. We did ours twice and it was perfect.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thats a good buck roach, Congrats. It's worth the money to have one done right.
You might get that one done by a pro, and then practice doing on a scrub buck.
Oh, and I would hardly call that a management buck coming out of the pineywoods.
Here is a couple I did myself. Easy but takes a while. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Roach high heat over long periods, cause the bone to emmacerate, just like the bones in a roasted turkey. After you get the meat off, let it dry in the sun for a couple days, The bone will get good and tough again. The peroxide treatments advice given to you, are all good. But to really get it white through and through use a slurry of peroxide and baking soda. Make a paste let it sit for several hours then wash off and repeat as necessary.
Taxidermist
BB

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm with a couple others on this post Roach, I know you've got some nice ones around your area but I would be putting that one on the wall as a shoulder mount. That is a true trophy anywhere but especially in East TX.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
If you caped it out, but still only want a euro mount... take the cape and skull to a good taxidermist. That is a big deer (head/neck/body), and you'll likely get $75 or so for the cape from the taxi... then, given a normal euro mount price near $150 (mount/pedestal included), you'll get yours done professionally for only $75 (the difference). According to the previous posts, you'll be spending near that amount anyway doing it yourself, and this way you'll save yourself the time, hassle, and overall nastiness of dealing with the process.

·
Deadeye McGee
3,312 Posts
Euro/Skull Mount

As previously stated, cut of as much flesh as you can. I use plain tap water and boil over low heat. Use wooden dowels to keep the horns out of the water. Do not over-boil or the plates that make up the skull will separate. Check constantly. Try scraping off the muscle and membrane attached directly to the skull perioducally. When it can be removed with a little effort stop boiling and start scraping. I use an Exacto knife. Use the kitchen faucet sprayer to remove the brain matter and nasal passage cartlidge. A piece of wire can be used to carefully scramble the brain to facilitate removal. I go to a hair/beauty supply place and get creme developer 40 or 50 and spread uniformly over the skull using a natural bristle brush. Let stand for a day or so and repeat coating if the creme seems too thin or if you see spots you missed. Rinse carefully and thoroughly with cool water. It will look yellow but when it dries it will be a sun-bleached white color. Once thoroughly dry consider spraying it with a crystal clear polyurethane as it will yellow over time. Buy a good plaque (some 2 Coolers have some real nice ones for a very good price) and hang the mount proudly where ever your wife will let you!
The last item is the most difficult in the entire process!!!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Van ***** Bleaching Kit

I did a pig skull about a month ago that turned out pretty good. I found a skull bleaching kit online from cabella's that was only $20. It comes with instructions, a powder that you mix in with the water to boil, 40% peroxide,a bleaching agent powder, along with a some brushes (wire and regular) to clean and apply bleaching paste. It was very simple to use and and gave me pretty good results.The kit comes with enough stuff to do at least 2 skulls. They also have one for around $50 or $60 that comes with a wooden mounting platform. The pictures aren't the best, but it bleached out pretty white.

Attachments

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Now for the tricky part...getting the crawfish pot out of the back yard without the old lady seeing it.

Biggie:biggrin:

Reactions: Captn C
1 - 20 of 23 Posts