2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Div Canal

Not unless someone recently marked it. Coming out of the Div just stay in the middle as it curves to the right and when it straightens out go on that bearing for a couple hundred yards. From there, I think you have to bear left a bit to pickup the channel out of Jones as it cuts near Meacom's then Harborwalk. That part is marked but be careful in that "no-mans" land in between as there are good hard reefs not far from the channel. People who know that area well just blast through it but I still putt until I hit the markers near Harborwalk. I'm sure someone here can give more exact info. Main thing is to get a good ways off the western shoreline of Jones once you get out of the Diversion Canal.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
It's kind-of marked. You have to take your time. Make sure you go a good 200 yards out before turning towards the ICW. Avoid the shallow flat in front of Harbor Walk. I hit bottom every once in a while trying to get in and out of the canal. It seems to have filled in a little since Ike. By the way, caught a fair number of flat fish there over the past month and a half.

226 Posts
coming out of the canal there is a marker called harveys pole line it up with the pvc marker at meacoms and stay just to the left of harveys pole and go all the way to icw then hang a right or left just put the bow of the boat headed for the pvc marker there is two of them just on the other side of icw cant miss them

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The have a small two lane ramp. If you go hwy6 and turn on 2nd street and go past the rv camp look to your left and you will see Qbee's bar and the ramp. That's one of my favorite places to launch. As far as winter fishing it's not one of my winter spots but, in the summer time it can be a good spot for night fishing.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
the diversionary is an interesting body of water, don't ignore fishing at the mouth of it, caught many a red/flounder/sheephead near the sunken shrimp boat, at times I park the boat before the Harborkwalk bridge (going out) and walk that shore line and catch flounder, I could go on and on, hope to fish it even more in the future, good luck

Oh yeah, when navigating the canal stay near the middle, there is a concrete colvert accross from the shrimp boat, about 12' from the shoreline, that thang is going to kill somebody someday

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Putt puttin' sounds the best. I have been to the entrance but no further. A few degrees to the right, I see poles, maybe 2. Me, I would have go out on a high tide for sure. I look at aerial pics and see the deepest section. How old they are, I don't know. The ramp is on 2nd St at the bridge. Left. Lot of parking but the washouts from the rains make the ramp somewhat dangerous. Their are drop offs on the sides of the concrete ramp and no one fills them in. Its free, lit up, good bulkheads and tie-offs. 6.5 mi. to the entrance too. No wake zone in a couple of areas. Maybe I will catch it right and FOLLOW someone out first!! thanx

·
Registered
334 Posts
Once you reach Harvey's Pole you can line it up with the channel marker in the ICW and you should have a clean shot to the ICW. There are reefs on either side near the ICW but this method has always worked even at low tide.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Here goes my .02, take it for what its worth. In all seriousness, I grew up fishing West Bay and have a pretty good feel. I have attached (2) photos from google maps. One is with my writing and the other is blank.

I'm sure most of you already do it, but I HIGHLY recommend you guys download "google earth" (Be careful, its addicting) It will show you so much and you can confirm what you saw on the water.

My rules of thumb when driving my 24' bay boat there.
1. At all times I go in/out of diversionary I have it trimmed up and jackplate a little higher than normal. Won't do it on a low low tide after front in the new boat. Old flats boat, I didnt care. (Normal tides your fine in most all bay boats if your on plane IMO)
2. When i'm going... i'm going... I'm running in hot.. you wont be able to ide through at times.
3. Whenever your exiting/entering the diversionary (like previous posters have said) be sure to go straight quite a bit before turning either direction.

Look closely on google earth and you can see what looks like a channel just to the left of my solid line coming out of diversionary.

The safest way I like to enter the I.C.W is lining up the wooden post and the bouy in the ICW. There is a deep channel there. I don't turn until im right near that wooden post, ** I tend to head straight to the South Shoreline when I hit the wooden post (At times the bouys will be moved)

When tides are at normal levels, I do run from that big wooden post, to the West towards harborwalk without cutting to ICW., but you must watch out for that one barrier reef that a little north than most of the main reef (See google map)

I typically follow the PVC pipes from Louis... (Depending on the boat)

Entrance of diversionary has been a gooooooood place to catch some flatties.

Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts