2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that you cna increase hook ups by either slowing or increasing the speed of the boat after seeing a marlin chase a lure. They seemed to impy not giving up on the fish if it chased the lure, but I don't recall all the details. What tactics do some of you use? Do you slow the boat and feed some line to the lure, then bump the throttle several times? I don't want the marlin to just swat the lure, I want to get it to take it!

Man, I never thought I would care about billfishing, but last weekend got me going.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! Really nothing. I sat on my computer reading about all the billfish caught last week and received an e-mail verifying the reports! :D I haven't been fishing since May 18th and I have the itch. I am tired of eating tuna and AJ :headknock. I want a wahoo (never hooked one), ling (I have had several to the boat, and gaffed some, but never boated my own), and snapper. May as well try for a marlin if I we are out far enough:). I know the boat owner is interested in fishing for marlin this year.

POC T-N-T said:
What happened last weekend?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hopefully I'll tag and release my first one weekend after next. On my previous trip on the Possession Limit I noted that Capt. John likes to occassionally stop the boat and let the lures settle a bit, then start it back up. It was during one of these short stops that we noticed a blue come up on the shortline about 25' off the stern. He hit the lure 3 or 4 times both at a stop and when we started back up, unfortunately he didn't latch on. Would have been a perfect time to site cast a live bait to a marlin and fight it standup but unfortunately we weren't setup/ready for that. I want to just get one first, then I can start trying to get fancy. With all the talk of blues the past week I'm getting fired up big time. I'm going back out on the Possession Limit weekend after next for a 3 day trip and Mr. Bluesuit is the primary target...we are going long - should be around 400 miles or more before the trip is done. Hope to do try a deep drop for a sword too.

Earl

Bellyup said:
I have read that you cna increase hook ups by either slowing or increasing the speed of the boat after seeing a marlin chase a lure. They seemed to impy not giving up on the fish if it chased the lure, but I don't recall all the details. What tactics do some of you use? Do you slow the boat and feed some line to the lure, then bump the throttle several times? I don't want the marlin to just swat the lure, I want to get it to take it!

Man, I never thought I would care about billfishing, but last weekend got me going.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
949 Posts
Earl,

Are you going on the June 18th trip on the Possession Limit? If so, I am too. should be a great trip. Do you know who else is going?

Looking forward to fishing with you again!

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
579 Posts
Eric,

Hi. Yes I'm on that trip. Looking forward to fishing with you again. Charles is on it with us too. Don't know who else is. Earl

·
Worldangler
1,385 Posts
Enticing the bite....

Enticing marlin to strike is the $64 million question......

Let me start by saying "a marlin following a lure" can be several things and take several forms. If the marlin is "lit up", I'd be patient - he'll come around eventually. If he's not lit up, then try something.

First, there's the "looker". This is the marlin that pops in the spread, moves from one lure to another looking and then disappears. Usually these fish are gone forever - but sometimes show up a little while later and either smashes a bait or turns into a "follower". Not much you can do with lookers, because they're gone pretty quick.

"Followers" come into the spread and follower or shadow a particular lure in the spread for awhile. You can speed up, slow down, or turn sharply to try to get these fish to strike. Another trick is grab the line above the reel and give a tug. This will dart the lure forward and then have it pause momentarily. This works best when the fish is right on the lure or pretty close. However, if the fish is deep below or off to the side, a pitch bait might be the ticket. Turning to same side is good on these fish because the lure will slow down and drop slightly, moving closer and in front of the fish. Once the slack is picked up by the turn, the lure will then accellerate quickly away.

"Lazy" fish are lookers that might make a swat at a bait, but not really eat it. If he/she break his bill out of the water, you can try free-spooling back. In Cabo, with some lazy striped marlin, I've been able to free-spool the job right back into their mouth! Slowing down, or using lures with lots of wiggle seem to work best on lazy fish. Then again, I've enticed some hook-ups from lazy fish by yanking it away from them when they make a swat - after a few total misses, they seemed to get more intent.

These are just generalities, every fish seems to be a bit different. The only really wrong thing is to do nothing. If he ain't biting, you aren't to lose anything by trying something different!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts