2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engineering Quiz

A backhoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer and heading east on
Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas. The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a
crisscross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

Solve: When the shovel arm hits the overpass, how fast do you have to be going to slice the bridge in half? (Assume no effect for headwind and no breaking by the driver...)

Extra Credit: Solve for the time and distance required for the entire rig to come to a complete stop after hitting the overpass at the speed calculated above.

Answer - Who cares, the trucking company just bought themselves a bridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There we go.....**** you red XXXX's.

12lb

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
I think I saw that truck driver working the drive-thru window at Whataburger today at lunch :eek:h:

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,426 Posts
It takes a special kind of stupid to pull off something like that.

·
Banned
756 Posts
DOnt worry mon I'll fix it.
Man I wish that machine was pulling into my shop. I would go ahead and buy the new boat.

Just consider that brand next time your teenager needs a car. Hyundai

Too bad we cant see the name on the load truck

·
Banned
756 Posts
Driver loade the trailer , left the machine idling while he boomer'd it down. Backed the tractor up and hooked up the trailer. Answered the phone. Drove off. Hit a bump and the boom went up.Usually seen on dumptrucks

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I agree with megabyte, and Charlie taught me to dance LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
........Bought a bridge and paid one very large dry cleaning bill.

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
I think something like that happened to the overpass near Georgetown a few years ago, had the interstate shutdown for hours.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hmnn, looks like that crane came up from the bottom of the bridge and did not damage either of the side rails.

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,890 Posts
Pics don't add up.... The shovel arm is extended a good 15ft about the overpass road. It is protruding through the right lane of the road. The last pic shows no damage to the upper portion of the overpass including the concrete railing. The shovel arm extends way above all that undamaged area. Did they raise the shovel arm up after the accident?

·
Limey
1,089 Posts
Similar accident on the Houston ship channel bridge a couple of years back when a ship poked a hole thru the N bound lanes without damaging the outer-side of the bridge, with the ships crane, which they did not lower.
SSMike said:
Pics don't add up.... The shovel arm is extended a good 15ft about the overpass road. It is protruding through the right lane of the road. The last pic shows no damage to the upper portion of the overpass including the concrete railing. The shovel arm extends way above all that undamaged area. Did they raise the shovel arm up after the accident?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts