2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheesh!!

I finally made it back to Austin this week after spending my summer guiding, fishing, and building a new boat. All summer I was without any real connection to the internet (not a bad thing) , so keeping up with the message boards was out of the question.

I am now in my junior year of study at UT majoring in Business Management.

The floundering this summer was the best we ever had, with only 7 or so trips out of 80 not getting limits.(20-30 fish max.) The flounder gigging has been excellent all year and it looks like were going to have another strong fall flounder run.

The highlight of my summer was taking my 85 year old grandfather wadefishing for his first time in over 35 years. It ended up being the single best morning of wadefishing either of us had ever had. It was his first time to throw topwater lures on the flats, and he caught trout and reds all morning long. In a little over 3 hours we ended up landing around 80 keeper trout and 2 reds along with my personal best trout that measured 29"(released). We kept twenty 15-19 inch trout to send back to grandma. I attached some pictures below of our morning trip (7-14-03). Sorry, no pics of the big girl, I don't take a camera with me when I wade.

I also built a boat this summer and I plan to have it finished within the next month or so. I will post later today with some pics of the boat.

In case you missed it, I have a new video on the NightStalker site. check it out at http://nightstalkerguideservice.com/videos.html

More to come...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
WOW! nice report RR! tell us more about your boat. Im very interested...............JJ

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My summer project (20' Mako)

I started off the summer by getting the crazy idea that I could build a boat in my spare time between guiding and fishing for fun. Well..... Unlike most of my projects, I have actually made great progress on this one.

Sometime in late May, I bought a 1970 20 foot Mako shell from McTrout that he had already gutted and stripped down to just the shell. From there I stripped it down further, taking all the old stringers out and grinding out the majority of the original lay-up until I was left with just the shape of the outer hull.

I built the boat up as shown in the pictures below, and at present I am almost ready for the final gelcoat.

Pictures list:
#1: The shell I started with.
#2: Bracing the hull so it doesent go flimsy when I remove the stringers
#3: Filleting in the new stringers with epoxy
#4: Fresh fiberglass over the entire inside of the bottom of the boat and stringers. This took 2 weeks of working every night for 4 hours.
#5: Laminating the transom plywood together.
#6: Transom fiberglassed to the boat.(Took 3 weeks)

More pics later....

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More boat pics

Picture list​
#1: Inside view of transom​
#2: Below deck gas tank box​
#3: Engine control pipes and back deck support stringers​
#4: Front deck rough fit-up with hatch​
#5: Front deck glassed in and man deck support stringers in place​
#6: Rough fit-up of the main deck​

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more pic

Here's how the boat sits today. I still have to fiberglass over the whole deck and prep the inside for gelcoat.

Attachments

·
will fish for work
287 Posts
rick, nice report

that was great to see Pop SR catching all those fish, i got a kick out of the bannana in his shirt pocket, grandma is still looking out for him i see. lol
"respect your elders"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts