2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna make this a first post of it's kind. Due to my own error, the child I was babysitting yesterday has written on my cream (almost white) carpet with a Sharpie permanent marker.

Does anyone know how or what to use to get it out? Should I call a professional? Any advise or leads would be most appreciated.

Oh yeh, it's turquoise and really stands out in the middle of the living room. :headknock

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Cut it out? Or shave it with one of your leg shavers? Or have EZ Ed enter a raffle at a carpet factory and put the ticket stubs in the pot?

·
The Happy Hookers are back
151 Posts
First try Oxi-clean, if that does not work then at They sell Goo-Offâ„¢, takes any thing out, (the problem is the smell, its like fuel) and alot of elbow grease, faith spilt paint on the floor and that took it off.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
oxy clean works pretty good. Dont dilute it too much though. Make it into a past and apply it and let it set a few minutes before wiping off. IF that does not work, get new carpet. Or more sharpies.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Kim you dont want to set the stain, I say pro. is the way to go.........................later,Dave

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
LOL, Shawn!!

Dave is right! Be careful what you try because if you use a product like Resolve and it doesn't get all the stain out then it will set it forever and all time. I know that Pam has used hairspray for some things and it has done well. (neither of us use it for anything else but a stain remover...or is that just to hard to believe? :D )

I'd DEFINITELY Call a pro and send the bill to the kids parents.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
from the Sharpie website FAQ:

AMODEX STAIN REMOVER for permanent ink:
Amodex Products,
P.O. Box 3332
Bridgeport, CT 06605
Phone: (203) 335-1255

(obviously you need to test it in an inconspicuous area first)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Also dont forget windex still has either blue or green dye add also.......................later,Dave

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shawn

Your suggestion to cut it out was good (and my first thought). Ed said he was poking the pen through the paper to make the spots. Well, upon closer inspection, I think "Ricky" was trying to drill to China. The stains go right down to the burlap (??) This is 2 year old 96 oz. carpet mind you. I'm pretty sick about the whole deal. I think I might call a pro. Does anyone have one they can suggest?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Do you have Aladdin in H town? they are the beast in SA..........................later,Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have used methanol and/or chloroform, (the later is nasty stuff, and not easy for the average person to get), but it seems to work pretty well. If you saturate a clean white washcloth with the solvent, and press it on to the stain without rubbing it seems to draw the ink into the towel. Just repeat the process with a clean cloth several times and pray.
I feel for ya; been there done that.
Greg

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Try this low tech application. Goof-Off has Zolene and Toulene in it . Both are heavy duty solvents. Now for the low tech part, get some cheepo carb cleaner. spray on the spot and blot it with a clean cloth. Dont scrub it , you dont want to spread it around. Use a little liquid laundry detergent to get rid of the solvent smell and some baking soda. Next day sprinkle on some baking soda and vac up. The key is use a little at a time and blot. Hope this helps .

Mike T

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Hmmm, if I didn't know you I would think that you were babysitting my nephew ... who had done the exact same thing to my cream carpet. Although it was with a blue sharpie. I took some plain old rubbing alchohal and dabbed up the marker. Painfully slow. DO NOT RUB ... THIS WILL SMEAR. Dab only, use lots of rubbing alcohal and a clean rag. The results should be a very white discoloured mark on your cream carpet - whereever you removed the marker. Wait a couple of days until completely dry ... then steam clean. There will be slight discoloration for about a month. Eventually, the spot where the marker was will blend in nicely with the rest of the carpet.

Goodluck.

·
Save a Goat, Ride a Cowgirl!!!
3,388 Posts
Kim, try this guy

Call Bill at Crystal Clean. 281-861-8844. He has helped me out a lot over the years and is a great guy. Tell him Brad Greuter with Texas Contract Floors referred you.
Hope this helps!!!

Brad

·
Ken
541 Posts
Cornhusker probaby has the best idea, but...

I believe you can get it up with plain old clear acetone-based nail polish remover. Like ZenDaddy says, dab, don't rub. Q-tips may be the way to go if it isn't too big an area.

After you do this, and the stain is gone, apply some lukewarm water with a touch of mild dish soap, then use a Wet-or-Dry shop vac to suck it up.

As suggested elsewhere, before doing this in a visible place, try a little spot in an inconspicuous place, such as a closet, a day before you try it on your nice carpet. You don't want to find out the hard way that it reacts with the fibers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts