2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
fish control my brain
7,734 Posts
Myself, Don savage (Savage offshore rods), and 2 other buddies are on this boat.We wil be the ones chunking TopWaters all night

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey guys I have been watching this board for some time the guys over at Extreme Coast sent me here. I am a ******* from the hill country and I have two related questions for those who dont mind taking a minute. What kind of top waters would you recomend I have a couple of the big Zara spooks for freshwater stripers? Second whats the minimum line weight combination you guys use to throw topwaters at tuna? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldtrackster said:
Hey guys I have been watching this board for some time the guys over at Extreme Coast sent me here. I am a ******* from the hill country and I have two related questions for those who dont mind taking a minute. What kind of top waters would you recomend I have a couple of the big Zara spooks for freshwater stripers? Second whats the minimum line weight combination you guys use to throw topwaters at tuna? Thanks in advance for the help.
Welcome to the board. As far as topwaters it all depends on what they feel like eating that night. Sometimes it could be big topwater poppers, sometimes small swimbaits, sometimes mid range diving lures. Take a small assortment if you can. The guys over at 360tackle.com (one of the board sponsors) have some poppers and pencil baits that will work. I've seen guys toss everything from flying fish to tuna hunters to homemade lures. The lure just needs to be up to the challenge of having a big YFT hit it at full speed.

Make sure to upgrade your hooks and split rings too on most topwaters you buy (360tackle gear and islanders "Tuna Hunter" are exceptions). As far as line goes I think most guys stay with 65lb braid. Some go as high as 80lb but it all depends on what you're comfortable with tossing. Going with anything less might mean you'll take longer to land the fish and might annoy some of the boat members. Hope this helps. Let us know it there is anything we can do.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thank you Feeder for your response I really appreciate it. I will check 360 and likely get some of their things as it will be ready to go and I can learn to fix up regular baits as I go.

PS I wish I would have had your split ring and hook tip earlier as I lost a rig donkey to a straitened split ring on a diamond jig.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
i have some tuna packages that is all you need for chunkin. 60 lb 100 ft top shot with dacron loop, 2 wind-on flurocarbon leaders (1, 25 ft 60 lb and 1, 25 ft 80 lb test) and 3 7/0 hooks and 3 10/0 hooks. for jiging take you wind-on off and loop on a coastlock. and clip on you jigging leader. i use 6 ft of 100 lb flurocarbon with luminous thimbles and a 220 lb swivel on my diamond jigs.

http://www.mcsaltwatertackle.com/Tuna.htm/
on our last trip we used frenzy angry popers. diamond jigs and free lined flying fish and chunked blackfin
if you look at the captinelliots website are catch is the 5 picture down

if you need any help rigging up just drop me a pm,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oldtrackster said:
PS I wish I would have had your split ring and hook tip earlier as I lost a rig donkey to a straitened split ring on a diamond jig.
I think we've all made some type of similar mistake at least once, but the experience is still fun and makes for good stories later on :)

Try using an AJ rig with some live bait as well. AJ's are suckers for a hardtail.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would much rather gain wisdom from someone elses knowledge than my own mistakes such as split rings, but mistakes are unavoidable. Thanks again.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Grandads 6" Mackeral !!! 11# of drag... 45# of Yellowfin!! Sight cast to the flying fish right before the tuna charges it!!! STand on the stern and watch the water- you will see the yellowfin rocketing through, then they will chase the flying fish back up to the boat... easy pickens if you are accurate with a spinning rig...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Feeder your starting to sound like an old pro.If you need anything let me know.Do'nt forget to use those poppers that I gave you from Newman.They were the shiznit on our last trip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
road master said:
Feeder your starting to sound like an old pro.If you need anything let me know.Do'nt forget to use those poppers that I gave you from Newman.They were the shiznit on our last trip.
Sounding like an old pro and being one are two different things. I still got a looooooong way to go before I get to that level. You're a lot closer than I am Johnny ;)

I still have those swimbaits you gave me from Newman from last time. I'll be using them again if I get the chance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
feeder said:
Sounding like an old pro and being one are two different things. I still got a looooooong way to go before I get to that level. You're a lot closer than I am Johnny ;)

I still have those swimbaits you gave me from Newman from last time. I'll be using them again if I get the chance.
Put down the jigs.Spend a night with the topwater's.The better bft will be up top.Also you will have a better chance at a yft.After your first lap around the boat you'll be hooked.Tell Capt .Frank I said hi.Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts