2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was coming back from Galveston today about 1pm and saw some guys looking at something on the northbound service road near Texas City. Made the block and to my surprise a car had hit an elk. It was DOA. No one there at the time knew anything about where it may have come from. The car that hit it was gone. The county crew could not lift it onto their flat bed and left to get a winch truck. Anyone know of a herd in that area????

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry just re-read and saw Texas City. Wonder if they had one out at that Bayou wildlife park that got loose. But I am pretty sure thats a stag.
several people there said that it was an elk. One of the guys there had just come back from colorado and had elk pics on his camera that look like this guy. He had a darker "mane" around his neck which I believe is a characteristic of an elk. I surfed the net and pics of a red stag dont seem to match this guy.........but I am duck hunter and it IS NOT A MOTTLED DUCK, that much I know.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is for sure a young red stag bull. They only get up to about 500 or so pounds fully grown. They look alot like elk, but usually grow more points. I was able to take a red stag on my bosses ranch about 3 weeks ago, and spent all of september hunting them. They do look alot like elk, because they are the European version.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yep, I'd say immature red stag. It's coat is too red for an elk. And if it was an elk, it would be much bigger. Besides, I have one like him (but a 6x5) on my wall :)

I wouldn't trust Tx DOT when it comes to animal identification. Even people that are supposed to know them make mistakes. Shoot, when I took my blackbuck a couple of weeks ago I was watching a 2 or 3 year old (obviously) elk bull that had been sold by an auction house as a red deer hinde! They knew something was up when it started growing antlers. It is still too young to crown like a red deer stag would (same with the dead stag in the photo) but unlike the animal pictured here the bull was already 600-700lbs and creme colored like an Elk. I think they got a full blooded elk bull on the cheap :)

Earl

1 - 20 of 37 Posts