2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pulling the trigger on my new boat (Everglades 243) and am looking to put electronics on it. I am trying to figure out what to get and where to have it installed. I have found gpsdicount.com and I think they have great prices and service from what I gather.

First question - Where do I get my electronics installed. I am buying the boat at Ron Hoover. I could have it done there. Or I could take it anywhere between Galveston and Houston and get it done. Any suggestions?

Second question - What to get. I have a 9" x 16" area on the dash to install a flush mount. I want to put an all-n-1 unit there. The bigger the better for my aging eyes. Plotter/depth/fishfinder/weather/satelite pictures... I rely on GPS a lot so I want to have redundancy. I want to mount a smaller, simpler, bracket mount GPS on top of the dash. I know where to buy it but there sure are a lot of choices. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
Rick contact Jason Wagen he and Jody (his Wife) own Millennium Marine and they are some of the best installers out there ....

281-291-9892.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I will call them. Coming from you the recomend means a lot.

I went to palce on I-45 at Nasa 1, Breakwater Marine. They showed me the Garmin 5208 and to buy one with ALL the bells and whistles they want 8k.

They include:EXTENDED MANUFACTURER WARRANTY, IN-HOUSE SERVICE, TRAINING, LIFETIME TECH SUPPORT, LOANER EQUIPMENT, INTERFACING. For this they charge 12% over MSRP.

To install the Garmin 5208 and transducer, GPS antenna, XM antenna they want $1,350. On top of that they are charging for SS mounts, marine grade cable ties, silicone calk and clean up supplies - About another $200. To mount a VHF and antenna they want $250.

Is it just me or does this seem a little exhorbant?

I really like the Garmin GPSMAP 5208. I like the 4208 also. It seems that gpsdiscount.com does not carry any of these newer models. If they do I can not find them on their web site.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost forgot... for comparison - Ron Hoover Marine charges $115/hr for their techs. My salesman Brad said he thought an install would take 2 or 3 hours. But he also said I would need to verify that with his service manager.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
Rick, Jason and Jody can even order all the items your looking for,

Search Breakwater here and you will have a ton of Bathroom reading material....

PM me if you need to.

John

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Tell the dealership to install them for free. If they dont want to, twist their arm a little bit. They want you to buy the boat, no matter what it takes. Just be friendly and they should do it

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts