2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Hero pictures don't need them.
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recomendations for Electronic Hearing Protection. I have to do somthing to help prevent this ringing in my ears after hunting.

·
5,912 Posts
I use the Peltor Tactical muffs that allow you to hear everything around you except the gun's discharge.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have had three different Walker Game Ear pieces, the muffs, the one that fits over your ear and the ones that actually fit in your ear.
I like to use the Muffs at the Gun range.
The new ones that fit in your ears are my fav for the stand.
The one that clips over the ear with the ear plug is okay but after a while the plug get pretty nasty and hard. ( I lost those in a cabin fire)
The Walker ones that fit in your ear come with batteries, three different size ear buds, and a carry pouch for about $60.00 from Cabelas.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have two pair of Peltors. I have the slim Tactical P6 model and the larger tactical version. I like both, but the bigger set seems to fit my ear better. Either work better than standard muffs.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
The reason I post so much on the internet?????

cause 30 years of duck hunting without ear protection has left me almost deaf. Can't even talk on the phone. People think I'm stupid cause I give dumb answers when they ask me questions.

Example:

wife: "Have you seen my red sweater?"
me : "Whatever you want to cook is fine with me"

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can't put anything over my ears, turn red as a beet and really sore to after awhile. I use the Allen sound sensors, can't really hear much but they work great when the gun goes off. I have a muzzlebrake on my gun so hearing protection is a must !!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
In the ear Walker game ears, the ear bud ones, start at $150+ don't they?
I use some in the ear ones, Walker knock offs and I paid about that, 3-4 years ago.

·
Humble Wet Liner
597 Posts
I started at 6 yo hunting doves with a 20 ga. Would shoot about 200 rnds per dove. Ears would ring for a week. I could read, so looked into the cause and solution. Came up with foam plugs. Took a couple of years but I got dad wearing them too. Not bad for an 8 yo kid. ALWAYS use ear protection. Muff in the garage for mowing, hammering or saw. I figure Im not loosing my hearing working around the house to wear plugs in the field. Dont go to concerts either for the same reason. Now I used Magnum ears, custom made by my ear doc. Had them about 5 years with only battery changes. They are good enough for hunting and still allow me to hear the ducks! I do not use them at the rifle range especially if the shooting bench is covered by a roof. I use foam plugs and muffs for that. Muzzle break is part of the problem. You only have one set of ears. Treat them to some protection.

R

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Im glad someone started this thread....

I havent been using hearing protection during hunting situations, only at the skeet and rifle range...

I grew up with a Grandfather that was pretty hard of hearing due to years of blasting away on a shotgun, and it looks like if I dont make some changes that I will be following in his footsteps...

The sad part is that I SELL hearing protection!!!!!!

I just need to know one thats not a HUGE investment, should I drop it into the water.... and one that is comfortable and works good enough to hear ducks dropping in....

Keep coming with the suggestions!!!!

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Justin, I hunted w/o protection until about 1998 after I got back to Houston and had my ears tested. I used the excuse I couldn't hear the wings and using a call is tough as well. I used to get back after hunts and have head aches form 6-10 clients shooting goose loads right next too me all morning. But I did miserably in the tests. Since then I wear them ALWAYS, even shooting .22's. One day I would like a pair of the in the ear custom molded ones, but at about $4-500 each I haven't done it yet but I will. If you can do it do it, it would be money well spent. I will look for the ones I have now, they work, can pick up some wind noise at certain angles in high wind. But they are $50 not $800,lol.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Forgot to mention, I also have the injection molded ear plugs and I use them with the muffs when shooting at the range. This protects the inner ear and the outer ear very well. Using the electric muffs, I can still hear.

In the summer, I'll carry a glass of ice water and dunk the ear plugs in it for 10-15 sec between stations when shooting clays. It sounds odd, but ice cold ear plugs really do feel great on a hot day.

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
Anybody know somebody that does the molded ones nowadays? I used to run dogs with a guy named Tim Holt that did it, but I've kinda lost track of him..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts