2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my very 1st posts on here was about the mind blowing experience I have been having with my electriical service. It has been so nuts, that it actually seems fabricated, but it's not. It just keeps getting better and better. Here you go:

1) Move to new house in Magnolia in April 2008.
2) After much agonizing, I pick Riverway Power as my electrical provider.
3) Riverway Power lasts a little more than a month when I get notification that they are going out of the electrical power provider market.
4) I immediately contact Reliant Energy to make them my provider because I do not want to get picked up by a POLR.
4) Reliant says everything is hunky-dory and my power will be on with them in a few days.
5) Everything good, so I think.
6) I come home on a Thursday in the middle of the Summer to find I have no power.
7) I immediately get on the phone to ask my electrical provider (Reliant Energy) what is going on.
8) Reliant informs me that they could not process my application for electrical service with them because I was getting picked up by a POLR.
9) I asked them why they didn't tell me that when I was on the phone with them. They say they don't know. I ask them why they didn't send me a notification by mail. They say they did. I say no you didn't.
10) After much research, I find out I am with POLR company CPL Retail Energy. I call them.
11) I ask CPL why my power is turned off. They say it is because I didn't pay them a deposit. I tell them I didn't pay them a deposit because I don't even know who they are. I'm supposed to be with Reliant.
12) I ask CPL how to get my electricity turned on. They say pay $300 deposit and it will be turned on no later than Friday afternoon. I pay deposit.
13) Friday afternoon, no power. Why no power. CPL doesn't know. They will re-issue a request to Centerpoint.
14) Saturday - no power. CPL says they acidentally put the year 2009 on my initial request. They will submit another request. They are very sorry for the incovenience. I tell them that doesn't help when it is 99 degrees outside.
15) Call Centerpoint - they have not seen a single request from CPL for my residence.
16) Sunday - no power. CPL has day off.
17) Wife calls TXU Energy. They will have power on in her name on Monday.
18) Come home, power on, everything good. Wrong.
19) Find out that Reliant Energy has re-submitted request for my electrical service. TXU Energy lasts 4 days. Now with Reliant. Good, right? Wrong.
20) Get bill from TXU for $250 for cancellation fee. We call TXU and tell them we didn't switch, somehow Reliant did.
21) TXU performs "investigation".
22) After a few weeks, get a $208.35 credit from Reliant. What's this?
23) A few days later get $684.82 bill from TXU. What's this?
24) I ask Reliant when I am getting my $208.35 check from them. They say 10 days after the "due date". I tell them there is no due date, it's a credit!
25) Call TXU. Work bill down to $442.78 which is basically two months usage. (That $208.35 month was supposed to go to TXU)
26) Call Centerpoint Energy. I tell them "DO NOT CHANGE MY ELECTRICAL PROVIDER UNLESS YOU HAVE IT IN WRITING FROM ME". They say they cannot deny a request from an elecrical provider. I tell them that's insane.
27) I ask them if ten different companies come to them ten days in a row would they switch every time. She says she wouldn't. I am so relieved.
28) I may have Reliant Energy come tomorrow. Who knows?

Have a great week,
Rayzor

PS- did I mention I was without power for 15 days after Ike?

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,869 Posts
I feel your pain!

Try dealing with a power consultant on a new project! You can stand there for thirty minutes dropping quarters down that suckers throat and it keeps saying, "incorrect coin...insert another for correct answer!"

Something's got to give! This third world country **** is finally hitting home...HARD!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Wow! That's amazing. Reminds of the old days when the phone company first dissolved and every time you turned around a new company was "slamming" you for service. Luckily we don't have that problem in San Antonio .. that I know of .. yet.

What a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
537 Posts
De-reg

And just to think people want less goverment, I say more goverment involvement and absolutely no de-regulation, look where it got us on this electrical provider mess in Texas. The Coporate type's cannot be trusted anymore, way to much greed and multi milliion dollar bonus's for CEO's.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Time Line - ?

No dates on the events, so it is tough to follow. It looks like it all started in April 2008 and it is difficult, at least for me, to follow a timeline after that with your 28 points of emphasis.

Some of them are just the way things are...sSome are simply bad business practices, which I have learned to expect from all providers of electicty and utilities in general. Deregulation brought a good idea, but if you do not put qualified people in the right places, it turns into a case of incompetent service.

Sorry for your problems, we have been with Reliant (and predecessors) since the '80's. lots of problems , none major, but at least we know what to expect. - HD

·
Registered
57 Posts
I feel your pain brother. This same exact thing happened to me when i chose National Power to be my provider. They go under & i get set up with CPL as providor of last resort. I switch to Reliant so i think, but same thing CPL cuts of my power b/c i didn't pay them a deposit. I call Reliant & they said they processed a work order on the same day CPL processed a WO to cut off power & CPL took precedents.

Luckily I was only without power for 3 days trying to get this resolved. Have you got your CPL bill yet? Mine was about $600 for 12 days @ about 38 cent a KWH. I sent them a letter saying i wasn't going to pay, but would pay @ a normal rates & haven't heard from them since....

My biggest complaint was i only had 12 days to switch to a new provider & it takes about that long for the paper work to process when you switch.

·
Tell yo momma and them how she durren...
922 Posts
That happened to me once. First Choice told me it would be 48 hours before I could have power restored. I made up my mind that that was insufficient, and turned the power back on myself. Got hit with a tampering fee of $200 bucks, but I was NOT going to be without power becuase THEY screwed up.

I dont recommend this becuase it's pretty dangerous, & agiants the rules. But I felt justified becuase I did nothing wrong, and still got chingalayed.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
The next time our state legislature is in session, we need to be beating those DRBGOBs like a 4 year old on a toy drum to fix this crappola. Look at the Powertochoose.org site on any day and the offers are ridicululous. When it peaked, there were offers for .27/kwh with 12 month contract. My bill last month was still at .19/kwh. Kind of a bummer when you cut kwh usage by 33%, but cost only goes down about 20%. Grrrrr..

One of the stories that sticks in my mnd was that many many years ago I remember a story about a lady that had her electricity cut off in error by the Electric Company. She had a refrigerator that had a uch of shrimp in the freezer. She loaded the refrigerator in the back of her pickup and delivered to the busianess office of the Electric Company. I believe htey paid for her shrimp and Refrigerator cause the local TV station was there with camera running. Good Stuff.

The biggest problem I see with CPL my local provider is I have to call AEP in Ohio to report problems. Wish it was someone local who would know the area so when I gave majorr street names on the extent of the outage would have some idea what I was talking about.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Folks...deregulation is one of the worst things to happen to consumers in history. They said it would increase competition and bring rates down. BULLSHIAT! Nothing will happen until you scream at your STATE elected officials. I called my reps, Glen Hegar and Charlie Howard and got the same scripted garbage that deregulation was good for consumers. Nothing scares a politician more when you tell them that you will not financially support or vote for them. Get on the phone and start calling

·
Typical Texan
8,415 Posts
I'm still fighting with Amigo Energy about the amount they claim I owe them even after the PUC has agreed with my side.

Talking to them is like talking to a log. Then when you finally think the lump on the other end of the line is starting to understand what's going on they say "I see now, I'll have to get accounting involved to get this corrected. They'll call you back." Then no call back and a couple of weeks later, another request for me to pay them the amount that is improperly charged.

This carp is crazy I tell you. I'm all for smaller govt but, deregulation of the electricity market in Texas was designed to work from the folks and Enron's point of view. We see how much integrity those folks had.

·
slap ya mama
1,919 Posts
DE-REG PLAIN AND SIMPLE ,,,,IT SUCKS....SORRY PEOPLE BUT THATS THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE IT.....ITS CRAZY,,,,LOOK AT AUSTIN AND OTHER AREAS OF TEXAS............. 11 CENTS OR LESS A KWH?????

·
Registered
464 Posts
I sent a letter to both my state rep and senator (Glen Hegar and Charlie Howard) and they both replied that deregulation was the best thing for Texas. This is by far the worst thing for Texas consumers. I will not vote for either one of those clowns again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts