2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently switched over to saltwater fishing. Sold the old Skeeter bass boat and bought a Blue Wave center console. Been considering spraying a sealer on the connections inside the console to help with combating corrosion.

What's y'all's thoughts on this? If you recommend it what sprays do you have long term experience with. Someone told me T9 and I also looked at something by Yamaha.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would check all connections and if loose, put heat shrink connections on and then put heat shrink tubing on top of that - makes it very waterproof and tight. The spray will not help with loose connections coming undone when running - that is more likely than corrosion causing something to come loose.

·
Registered
764 Posts
CorrosionX in the red can for everything electrical including switches and circuit boards. Blue can for trailer stuff including springs and lug nuts. Ancor marine heat shrink butt connectors for wire connections.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just recently switched over to saltwater fishing. Sold the old Skeeter bass boat and bought a Blue Wave center console. Been considering spraying a sealer on the connections inside the console to help with combating corrosion.

What's y'all's thoughts on this? If you recommend it what sprays do you have long term experience with. Someone told me T9 and I also looked at something by Yamaha.

Thanks for any help
I use silicone di-electric grease on EVERY electric connection, insert it in crimp fittings, before crimping and/or shrinking. I have even taken toggle switches apart and coated the insides with it. Plugs , boths male and female get a coating, light bolbs get it on the connecting surfaces . It does not dry out and will not corrode.

Reactions: PBC

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do use Corrosion x but it is expensive. I learned from a golf cart mechanic a long time ago, before Corrosion X was around. Marine grease mixed with 90 W oil like peanut butter on every electrical connection. Treat the end of your wire, heat shrink, and the connection. Worked for this old salt, for many years!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Rust Patrol. Better protection than Corrosion X

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don’t consider CorrosionX to be expensive considering how long it lasts before having to reapply and considering how good it works. My best CorrosionX story is I had a 90 Cherokee with a rear wiper motor that got water into it and rusted frozen. I sprayed CorrosionX into it and let it set for a couple days and the motor worked like new until the end of the Cherokee’s life.

CorrosionX Corrosion Technologies 90101 6 oz. aerosol Amazon.com: CorrosionX Corrosion Technologies 90101 6 oz. aerosol: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replys. One thing I don't want is a sticky gooey mess when I need to work on something. Thought about the corrosion x treatment but spraying it into a cup and brushing in on where I want it. I just hate trying to work on stuff and have stuff on my fingers getting it on everything I touch.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for the replys. One thing I don't want is a sticky gooey mess when I need to work on something. Thought about the corrosion x treatment but spraying it into a cup and brushing in on where I want it. I just hate trying to work on stuff and have stuff on my fingers getting it on everything I touch.
Try the liquid then
CorrosionX Corrosion Technologies 91002 (16 fl oz trigger spray) – Multi-Purpose Lubricant, Penetrant, Rust and Corrosion Preventative | Industrial Strength | Marine Grade | Cleans Lubricates Protects https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009GYRW...abc_YBF38MZCM628TW36ZW2K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Relentless
2,597 Posts
CorrosionX hands down, red or green can

If it's something I don't mess with much I'll use the green can

This fuse block is located deep in my bilge.

12 years of heavy offshore salt, you can wipe off the CorrosionX and it still looks shiny brass new

Relentless

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,720 Posts
like everyone else said… corrosion X. I too hate having dirty slippery hands when working on things, but I hate corroded bolts that snap off even worse. It’s the way to do. Fluid film is also a great option.

Great video showing how well fluid film and corrosion x do when compared to some others out there.

·
2011 21' shallowsport Bahia 150 E-TEC
2,476 Posts
Corrosion X hands down. My 10 yr old shallowsport has zero Corrosion anywhere due to my use of this product. Bought the boat new, kept it sprayed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts