2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a electric smoker and I would appreciate feedback from you 2COOLERs that have one or know about them before I waste my $$.

Thanks
Speckfish

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Electric smoker, electric chain saw, electric pressure washer, and lets not forget lawn mower.

If you wanna use any of the above get you some o'douls. lol

Do you mean the propane smoker maybe.

SD

·
No we're not lost
238 Posts
Brinkman

I have one of the red Brinkman electric smokers in my collection. I couldn't believe I was buying one when I did, but I was really surprised at the ribs it turned out. You can put wood chips on the lava rocks and it has a little door to add chips every few hours if you want to. It has a water pan and you can cook at different levels above the lava rock. I thin it was about $50 or so.

by the way when I used the O'douls, it didn't work really well so I went and got a twelve pack or Dos Equis and a bottle of Tobasco sauce and it got better. The ribs and the Dow Equis were finished about the same time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just my 2 cents,

Speckfish, I've had one now for about 10 years, one of the best things I've bought. Don't get me wrong, I got 5 other pits (including the super heavy duty smoker/firebox) so I'm not your city boy O'Doul's type cooker. In short, it works great on brisket, pork butt, and esp. whole chickens. I'll take a couple fryers, cover them with lemon pepper and paprika and put them on the rack, above the water pan. I usually fill the water pan half full w/water, then add two cans beer along with chopped onions and a couple fresh sqeezed lemons thrown in. The key to using the elec. smoker is not "over smoking" the meat. I mostly use mesquite chips (about a cup full) and I do not soak them first. Put the chickens on and cook them them for 4 1/2 hours. Don't take of the lid till then and don't turn them either, you'll love the taste and will melt in your mouth. If you do a brisket, season it with rub, add some vinegar to the water with same mixture as chicken ingred. above, leave on the pit unattended for 6 hrs, then wrap it in foil the last 2, it will cut like butter. Good luck.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Its called an Electric Cajun Smoker I've been thru 2 of them. and no I don't wear Crocs...LOL :D

I love them because you don't have to Hover around them worrying about the Temp. They usually stay at a perfect Temp and you don't have to use as much wood. Its great if you live in Sardine can Neighborhood like I do. I also like it because I can usually visit more with the family on holidays.
Its does a great Turkey. Best I ever had.

Plug it in put some Wood Chunks (not chips) inside the element and put the water pan on with some beer and Cut in half Lemons. It has two racks so you can put a pork roast and a turkey on at the same time. the whole setup looks like R2D2 from Starwars. If I'm going to do a Turkey I'll set everything up the night before and just leave it unplugged. Set the Alarm for 5AM put the meet on, plug it in and go back to bed. I don't look at it again until its almost done.

as Ron P would say "Set it!, And forget It!" LOL :D

Frank said:
I have one of the red Brinkman electric smokers in my collection. I couldn't believe I was buying one when I did, but I was really surprised at the ribs it turned out. You can put wood chips on the lava rocks and it has a little door to add chips every few hours if you want to. It has a water pan and you can cook at different levels above the lava rock. I thin it was about $50 or so.

by the way when I used the O'douls, it didn't work really well so I went and got a twelve pack or Dos Equis and a bottle of Tobasco sauce and it got better. The ribs and the Dow Equis were finished about the same time.

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
Shin-Diggin said:
Electric smoker, electric chain saw, electric pressure washer, and lets not forget lawn mower.

If you wanna use any of the above get you some o'douls. lol

Do you mean the propane smoker maybe.

SD
electric smokers are great .. even temps .. steady smoke with minimal monitoring

Propane on the other hand creates water vapor when it burns .. which can cause a bitter taste when combined with certain types of smoke

with all that said .. I have a big brinkman smoker with a firebox.. with enough beer & a thermometer I can do just as good of a job as a I could with an electric smoker

·
Registered
494 Posts
electic smokers

Well worth the money.Brinkman is the one I have.Constant temp,Pork loins,
chicken,brisket,bacon wrapped whole deer leg with garlic included.
soak wood,add water,add wood keep adding wood set it and forget it.Check out that smoke ring.......
But don't leave it in the weather....

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I had a red Brinkman years ago and it did a great job except that moisture would form on the dome and drip down the sides onto the patio. Bought another model with a slightly concave top that dripped back onto the meat and then in the pan. Liked it much better. Haven't used on in years but was pleased with the results back then.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I bought a Bradley electric smoker about 4 years ago and absolutely love it. The automatic smoke tower lets you load several hours worth of bisquettes at once, go fishing, and come home to a smoked brisket, rack of ribs, chicken, etc. Fish is excellent in these as well. It's also fun to play around with the different types of wood and cure flavors. We still use the big ol' smoker with the firebox for cooking several briskets, but for one or two, the electric smoker is great.

Attachments

·
Lurking since 1999
294 Posts
Food Network GOOD EATS

Good Eats did a show on electric and said it was better than gas for not drying out the meat. It also allows better control of heat and the chips seem to smoke as well. Might check the archives to see the show. Alton Brown is the host he is big into the science side of things.

Spidy

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I've worn out two of them - red brinkman water smokers, and like them. Cheap, do a good job on everything I've ever put on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts