2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up an electric knife after work today along with a few other thing at BP. I have looked and they have one that is 120v and one that is rechargable. I was wondering what the opinon people around here have.

·
Old ******
4,418 Posts
I've had several of the rechargeable models and all of them failed. I got the Rapala model and it comes with a connector for regular 120V and for the 12V lighter socket in a car or boat. It also has two blades and a small cutting board with it. It has seen a lot of duty and works just fine. Got it at Academy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
We have tried several just about every corded brand (never used a rechargeable one) and the only one that has held up is the Pirahna. We have been using for over a year now and it is still working so I have gotten my money's worth out of it. We use it on snapper, kings, dolphin, ajs and ling and it works like a charm. The other brands just didn't hold up, we could fry the motor within the first dozen or so uses. We have now used the pirahna on at least 3 dozen trips and the motor seems to be doing well. Definitely recommend picking up extra blades since these big fish really do wear them out.My only complaint on the pirahna this far is that we broke the plastic trigger on the first use (which without the plastic trigger you can count on being shocked regularly which helps you wake up when you have a really big pile of fish). I have since glued it back together and it seems to be doing alright.

Electric knives and large saltwater fish just don't go together too well. Count on spending money and being frustrated until they come out with a model specifically designed for the big boys. However, I really love being able to filet out large fish in a manner of seconds. So, I keep spending the money. Fortunately, the pirahna is still alive and kicking.

·
Old ******
4,418 Posts
You won't be sorry you got the Rapala. I've used mine since they first came out and even on triggerfish which are particularly difficult. It's a great unit.
Of course, having said that, yours will likely burn out the first time you use it simply because I recommended it. If it does just holler and I'll come over and clean your next batch of fish. LOL

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am willing to let it burn up just so someone else will clean my fish.

I am sure it will work fine. The old knife I had at the house that I used last week of two kings got hot by the time finished. Maybe I will start drinking a beer after each fish to give the knife a chance to cool off. I am sure that will take care of all over heating problems.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have the green and yellow one (I will post the brand when I get home). It is cheap at Academy. It works great on redfish, snapper, and anything with big scales. Make sure the blades are oscilating well before you put pressure on the blades (don't try to start it under pressure). Slices through stuff like butter.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,114 Posts
The green and Yellow are Mr Twister!!! Brand commonly found ar Academy ...

John

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I sharpen them about every tenth fish (snapper). They go through all kings, dolphin, aj, etc. on one sharpening per session.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.