2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
No, not the purple gay kind!
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our hot water heater has gone out. It is an electric 52 gallon. Where is the best place to purchase and, if necessary, who can put it in.

Currently it is a 52 gallon and looking to replace it with a 40 gallon if possible.

Any suggestion in getting us by till the weekend?? Not looking forward to a cold shower tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Is it leaking or just not heating?
If not heating, turn off the power and check the reset button under the upper element cover.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the tank is not leaking the water heater can be easily repaired. You will need to most likely need to replace the heating elemants, they do not last forever, or it could be the thermstats but most likely the elemants. You will need to turn the electric breaker off, and also turn the water off at the meter to the house. Drain the water heater and open faucets in the house. Remove the panels and wires from the elemants. The elemants screw out like spark plugs, it may take a special tool that can be purchased from Home Depot along with the elemants.

If this seems to comlicated "CALL THE PLUMBER"!!!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If the tank is not leaking the water heater can be easily repaired. You will need to most likely need to replace the heating elemants, they do not last forever, or it could be the thermstats but most likely the elemants. You will need to turn the electric breaker off, and also turn the water off at the meter to the house. Drain the water heater and open faucets in the house. Remove the panels and wires from the elemants. The elemants screw out like spark plugs, it may take a special tool that can be purchased from Home Depot along with the elemants.

If this seems to comlicated "CALL THE PLUMBER"!!!
Test the elements first! Look online and google "testing water heater elements". All you'll need is a voltage meter.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
running out of hot water is a common plumbing problem and lowering your capacity you may not be happy when she hollers "we aint got no more hot water"
the plumber sized a fifty gal so you would have enough under normal usage
moore supply and other plumbing supply houses are the place to get your new heater,
if you need a plumber on that side of town Milton Frank plumbing co is a good one, along with pickett plumbing "the picky plumbers" have known Walter Pickett for a long time h is a honest man, along with Milton
experience has proven its better to replace a old electric water heater vs repairing it to work only a month or two
good luck and it will be cheaper to rent a hotel tonight than get a plumber out

·
Roll Tide!!!
2,974 Posts
Do it yourself. Google it for a video. It;s not that hard. The hardest part is getting the new one out and into position, then removing the old one. I've replaced several.

Reactions: Dolphin

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
Do it yourself. Google it for a video. It;s not that hard. The hardest part is getting the new one out and into position, then removing the old one. I've replaced several.
I agree. Im not at all skilled in plumbing, but know how to do a little wrenching. When mine went out last year, I thought I was gonna have to pay a small fortune to get it replaced, being a gas heater. A buddy of mine came over, and two brews later, we had the old one on the curb, and the new one fired up. Wasnt hard to do at all. My biggest concern was finding one that had the fittings in the right place. Come to find out, its kind of standard for them to all be in the same place. Made it a whole lot easier than I thought it was gonna be.

Saying that, my heater is in the garage. Some of the newer homes have them in the attic. Those have to be a real pain to replace. Lets hope in your case its something simple like an element.
:cheers:

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
I would think long and hard before going to a smaller water heater. If concerned about electrical usage, look at adding a timer to shut the heater off for long spans when not in use.

Eight years? Maybe they don't make them like they used to. We've got a Rheem 40 gallon at the house in East TX that was installed back in 1985.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What ever way you go, make sure to fill heater completely up before turning on power. While filling the heater turn on a hot water faucet to bleed all the air out of the lines or you will dry fire the top element.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Drain the water and remove the elements. Take them to say, a place like home depot or lowes. They have them on the shelf. Get you a couple and put them back in. Its easy. Make shure your power is off. But first before you do all that make sure you have power to your heater. You may have tripped a breaker.

charlie

·
Banned
797 Posts
also, when testing the elements, make sure that you disconnect the power to the elements themselves. if not, it will probably show that the "circuit" is not interrupted (when if probably is). make sure to TURN THE BREAKER OFF IN THE BREAKER BOX BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!!

good luck and hope you get the problem fixed.

rbt2

·
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your advise/help. The water heater was in the garage and was replaced today by both me and my hubby. We did it ourselves and it went off without a problem. Hubby told me last night after I posted that it was 1991 era so I think we got our money's worth! We did replace it with a 40gl and with as much sediment that was in the old one, don't think we will miss the 12 extra gallons! We even got to Lowes and got the new heater and back and the old one (drained before we left) out and to the curb before trash pick up today!

It's just him and I here now, with the occasional weekend visitor.

Thanks again. 2cool is the solution to all the worlds problems – lol!

PS - We have hot water tonight!

·
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sofa king, CHARLIE & rbt2 I owe you some green!

Reactions: BlueWaveEd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hot water

Our hot water heater has gone out. It is an electric 52 gallon. Where is the best place to purchase and, if necessary, who can put it in.

Currently it is a 52 gallon and looking to replace it with a 40 gallon if possible.

Any suggestion in getting us by till the weekend?? Not looking forward to a cold shower tomorrow.
You can buy another at Lowe's, Home Depo, and ect. but always turn off breaker, drain water heater, buy new washers for copper tubbing, always fill with water berfore turing breaker back on, check for leaks today and for a couple of days after intalling. Sorry for taking so long to respond you proubly have another intalled already. Keep checking for leaks.....

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
I had to get a new water heater after Ike took my old one out. I checked both box stores and Sears. Got the same size wh with a longer warranty for $100 less at Sears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts