2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best electric filet knife on the market????? Ours seem to overheat very quickly and the blades keep popping out. I know the "ol fashion" manual knife is good but it sure is tiresome after fishing all day. Also, anyone ever eat a rainbow runner? Book says they are excellent tablefare, never caught em before and never ate one.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,538 Posts
I've had the best luck with the Piranha electric knife. It's held up longer than any other commercial fillet knife I've owned.

Don't buy it at Wal-Mart...too high. Academy has them priced lower.

TH

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
OK was that you next to me cleaning fish at ICM? :) If so I was the blade slinger with the rainbow runner. If no one was to the right of me I could carry on like a slicing macine. Those were ordinary knives that I sharpen myself on paper wheels.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasnt me B4B, we were at Crystal Beach doing our butchering!!! Were you serious about the rainbow runner? I had never even heard of them and then we catch 3!!!!!! How do they taste????????

·
www.southtexasfishandfowl .com
747 Posts
I like the black & decker and GE elect. knives sold in the house ware department at wal-mart or somewhere like that. I have two of them and they hold up better than any others I've owned. They'll get a little hot on a bunch of redfish, but that's any knife.

·
6,603 Posts
Rainbows, are a good light meat fish kinda like amberjack. Did you catch them deep? I posted our trip with picture on the blue water board. I use to use an electric until I learned how to sharpen knives with paper wheels a ruge. They are actually sharper than a razor and saw a guy filet his skin trying to shave the hair off his arm. It takes about 5 min to touch them up after a trip.

·
I am haunted by still waters.
1,665 Posts
Do a search on Electric Fillet Knife, ther was a large thread about 2 months ago.

IMO the vintage GE knives are still the best - have 3 of them - no issues. Ebay is the best place to find them good ole knives.

Good luck

GCB

·
Registered
55 Posts
B4B-we did catch the Rainbow Runners pretty deep, 60' to 100'. Not sure why we didn't take pictures on the boat of these but they put up a good fight.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I stick with the old faithful but i broke one of my favorites so I am in the market for a new favorite fillet knife. I dont like electric.

rainbows, yess good meat.

·
6,603 Posts
I have a baldor and a delta grinder 3500 rpm, with paper wheels, one has 2500 grit carbon that I glue on the outer edge, the others are just plain compressed paper about 1" thick. I run the blades over them with caution not to over heat and change the temper and pollish the edge. Like the barber with a strop, but faster. These edges hold better and dont roll. If you ever been to gun shows and Bass Pro it's like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts