2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like downriggers and have been using a Scotty 1050 manual for the last 4 years and it has served me very well but I want to get an electric model now. I would stick with Scotty but what bothers me is that they only retrieve because they are belt-driven, you still have to drop the ball manually using the handle clutch. The Scotty's clutch/brake is not bad but I like the one on Penn riggers much better; they allow me better control over the decent.

Do Cannon Mag-10s allow you to lower the ball down? I have been looking at the 4 big makers of downrigger - Scotty, Cannon, Big Jon and Walker, since Penn no longer makes electrics. I know that the Walkers will drop, they also have a very nice "automatic ball retreiver" that brings the ball up to to boat & shuts down but Walkers do not have telescoping booms - something I really want! Big Jon's are very nice, expecially the gold anodized models, but they too have a fixed boom so my choice is either the Walker Tournamet the Cannon Mag-10 and I will go with the Cannon as long as it drops.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts