2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Occupational Hazard
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a major problem with electalisis (sp?) on my boat. Whenever the deck is wet and I put my hands in the water to grab a fish etc. it shocks the heck out of me. I've got an 06' Whaler. I would assume that something isn't grounded correctly. Anyone have any similar problems?? I probally need to take it in but I am sick and tired of warranty claims and don't want to take it to the dealer and be off the water for 6 months, I'd rather fix it myself.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Jake,
Are you standing barefoot on the wet deck and it only shocks you when you touch the water?
There has to be a hot wire(trolling motor?) or connection touching the wet deck I think. Does it happen only when the engine is running?
Post this on the TTMB board and more folks will see it and someone will know.

Are you still Tarpon fishing down in SPI or back after trout in East Bay?

·
Occupational Hazard
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kenny said:
Jake,
Are you standing barefoot on the wet deck and it only shocks you when you touch the water?
There has to be a hot wire(trolling motor?) or connection touching the wet deck I think. Does it happen only when the engine is running?
Post this on the TTMB board and more folks will see it and someone will know.

Are you still Tarpon fishing down in SPI or back after trout in East Bay?
Thanks for your input. It happens when I'm barefoot on the deck and I touch the water. Sometimes it happens in the driveway when I'm washing it and the whole boat is wet. It happens when both the engine is off and on. I was thinking thinking the same thing about a hot wire being shorted just trying to get some ideas together on where to start looking for the problem. Particularly if it could be come from somehwere around the engine.

Actually right now I am in Texarkana, Arkansas visiting family. I come home tommorow and will probally be in SPI next week if its too windy to fish here.

·
Registered Somewhere
5,633 Posts
Had a faulty bait/fish well pump that was the cause of that on a boat. On DC vessels it is often a motor whose shaft seals have gone. Water gets to brushes and you get a pulsating DC voltage. It will knock the fire out of you. In your case, I do not know the boat. Turn off all motors (trolling, bilge pump, bait well, fish well ect.) and see if you still get a shock. If not, turn on eack motor till you do. There is you problem. Could be another source. Disconnedt each until you find the culprit. I am still betting on a motor.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I had exactly the same thing happen to me once. I redid every ground connection on the boat and I mean redid to the point of disconnecting and cutting off excess wire where possible,cleaning othere and sealing all crimp connections with Liquid Tape,similar products are available. I never did isolate the problem but had more than one spot that was suspect. The task cleared the problem. If that fails then start looking for a hot that has faulted. It is posssible to find with a meter but in saltwater corrosion meter readings are oft times misleading.You might dedicate a weekend to this task,its a PITA Project. I had another boat that had a bare ground wire running below the deck that bussed system grounds togetherand it had a loose connection that did an intermittent same o same o.

How about a trip to the boat shop LOL

dick

·
Occupational Hazard
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, after about 8 hours of brian draining, sweating, mosquito swatting...with the appreciated help of jabx1962...I think we figured out the Electrolosis problem....The fine folks at H&M marine in Crowley, La had were definately the culprit...They spliced together the hot and negative main power wires together with Solder and Electrical tape and this was laying in the wet Rigging tube...Hopefully I won't get shocked tommorow...haha...-Jake

·
TopWater Tango
895 Posts
Just a thought.......................I had a bare spot on my transducer cable, and that sucker would light you up if you touched the water while the gps/sonar was on. I finally replaced the cable............problem solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts