2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
"Defenders of the game rooms maintained that despite their reputations and restricted access, the operations are nothing more than a place for people to have fun and socialize."

they must really think the entire city council is stupid if they are supposed to believe that.

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
wow...a post without some dude dressed in a chicken outfit

·
Gone Fishing
12,001 Posts
"no money is payed out to the customers"....hahaha!!! Ill stick to the Ritz for my illegel gambling, thank you.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It's sad to see those 90 yr old people with their o2 mask gamble away their social security checks. It is not a game to take away their money. Shame on the operators.

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
When I wore a badge and a gun for a living in this county I was offered some pretty sweet money to help protect what was behind some of those blacked out windows and locked doors. Needless to say, I declined the offer. They even offered to pay my "wife" a sunstantial salary to "manage" the place. She too believed it to be a bad fit for us and declined the money. Long story short, we wanted to be able to look ourselves in the mirror every day and still be able to smile. Back then the laws and logistics of enforcement were pretty grey and only the owners came out on top if government decided to raid one of the parlors. I'm not much of a gambler anyway (oh well). I don't judge those who frequent these places. To each his / her own. I just didn't care for the the conflict of interest that I believed would have been create if a LEO participated in that particular business. Yes, I could probably be much more financially secure right now but I'm happy with the knowledge that my children know that Mommy and Daddy's "personal" ethics weren't and still aren't "for sale". Now, if it were legal in Texas and I had passed on that opportunity,.........................well,...............................that's an entirely different discussion;)

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Sounds like the city wants to look "tough on crime" while they figure out a way to make more than the $67,000. current take.
It would be easy enough to infiltrate one with a wire and camera and see what's going on.
Back in my drinking days there was a bar/restaurant in SE Houston that gave out tickets which were openly redeemed for cash. Place was full of cops, including DPS, even a judge was a regular. You could also get a "go-cup" there! LOL

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
we don't have the parlors with darked out windows over here in hooterville - only the convenience store kind. however, it's common knowledge that if you win they pay cash. a guy i know won $800 in cold hard cash at the corner store awhile back.

i've always found it so ridiculous that we have such staunch opponents to gambling in this state, yet you can go down to any corner convenience store and play eight liners or numerous different lotto games seven days a week.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
It is very easy to infiltrate these establishments. Believe me, I've played many of your hard earned tax dollars on these machines and got paid out in cash sometimes and other times little trinkets and some places wouldn't let me inside even with my fake DL.

However, Texas law says that you cannot win more than 10X the amount bet. If you sit there long enough, it will happen and that makes it illegal in itself. About a year or so ago, the powers to be agreed that the police could just take the mother board out of the machine instead of the entire console. Easier to store for evidence...and, yes, everything was voice recorded and had video. These places get robbed quite often too.

·
Fishmoore & Doolittle, Retirement Clubs
2,741 Posts
I can always tell the second I walk in the door of a convenience store if they have the 8-Liners. The cigarette smoke stench hits ya before the noise of the machines does. :)

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
In many States, they don't care whats legal or illegal! Local govt. picks on what can make "them" money. Placing it or them, back on the streets to generate somemore money, "thats the game there!" Constant revolving money circle. They take it out, $$$ stops...and they don't want to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts