2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my child's high school open house last night and was very concerned to see the children so apathetic, and disrespectful. Their instructors were talking very passionately about their subjects and what they were trying to teach the kids and all the while the kids talked, cracked jokes, and in general paid no attention to them. How do you folks deal with this on a daily basis? I think I would be depressed beyond belief to put my heart into something and be ignored, or be passionate about making a connection with my students and helping them along and not be able to.
God bless you folks, you have to put up with an awful lot.
And BTW, God bless all of you affected by Ike. I wish the best for all of you.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
thanks to the media and bad parenting

and there is absolutely no enforceable discipline like the old days

they have to want to learn and be taught at home to do so.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the AP, (advanced placement) instructors got a little respect but overall it was quite sad. Can't imagine being a gung ho teacher right out of college these days.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's a struggle & easy to burn out but most people don't become teachers for the big bucks & fame. They do it because it's a calling. Now there are those that do because they don't know what else to do & they usually find something else real quick. MTV, hip hop culture, the media showing every fool that has no respect, absentee parents - all of these things have contributed to a lack of respect for any authority & especially an attitude of misbehavior in school. Depending on where you teach, alot of kids don't think they need an education - they're all gonna be rappers & ballers. Even middle class ones don't get it sometimes - it's tough to compete with a phone that can play funny videos, a bunch of cool songs, & take pictures to boot. But I still love my kids & I'm in a great school where I look forward to work each day.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God bless you rab ag, and glad to hear you are making a difference BTW, I am not trying to be a naysayer, or start a rant. The experience just really bothered me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well thank you. We don't get big sales bonuses or commisions but when our kids, parents, or people like you show your appreciation it really means something - at least to me.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You do it because you're a teacher. You do it for the kids you have in front of you that really want to learn. You do it because you can't see yourself doing anything else.

I could be a full time writer and do quite well. But I can't imagine not being in the classroom. I would be so bored.

Cg

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I teach middle school and I can tell you that where I teach that if that happened there would be consequences. We keep the kids in line from day one and keep it that way throughout the year. That doesn't mean that it's perfect here and that kids don't act up, but they know that if they step over the line they will be disciplined. I think it starts with administration backing up the teachers with a good plan and being consistent. Part of our discipline plan requires teachers to contact parents before dealing with an administrator so that parents are kept in the loop and given an opportunity to take care of their kids at home. Of course not all parents are cooperative but most are.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I was being a bit pessimistic last night. It just bothered me to see the pained expressions on some of the educators faces when the kids were goofing off, and not paying attention.I may have gotten a bit of tunnelvision in that regard. At any rate, I am very glad to find it may not be as big a problem as I thought.
A very sincere thanks to you educators here. I am truly thankful that all of you are able to make a connection with your students and make a difference in their lives. You people have a very, very important job and I appreciate what you do.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Spent 34 years in middle school [coach,teacher,AP].As Pocboy said it starts with a strong administration and on day one.We held open house w/o students,they could come in the spring.If a child was disturbing while someone was presenting,they were removed.EVERY school has problems,does not make any difference what it's social,economic,ethic etc. background is.After I retired,I realized the c--- that came down from the administration offices for both teachers and administrators to do.I will not be around to see it,but it will be interesting to see how many teachers retire who started teaching in the mid 90's,30 years from now.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
After 35 yrs. I'm retiring in 3. There is no way I would encourage someone to be a teacher given the way things are in public education today. Every thing starts at the top, strong administrators equal support for the teachers and strong discipline.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Howdy;
I spent 30 + years in public education in many different positions and levels. I put up with all the negatives and bad mouthing over the years. While in a small Yu'pik village as principal, I urged a young eskimo man to come to to work for the school as an aide.
We left the village for retirement, but was called back to the district in Alaska as SPED Director. We were invited to give the graduation address that spring. While visiting with old friends and acquitances after the commencement the young man, now an adult approached me and thanked me for saving his life. There is a high incidence of suicide in that village among the natives. He is doing well, married, doing college work and working full time as an aide. After all the negatives, that one incident made it all worth while and I would gladly do it over again just for the look in that young man's eyes.
Lost Alaskan

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
used to be..............

kids were very respectful of coaches , admin, and good old discipline, now it's their game.

we now follow, carefully................

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Been at it in one form or another since 1992. It does have to be a labor of love. Every once in a while, some great kids come along and make some of the muck entirely worth it. I was really thinking of calling it quits a couple of years ago. I had such a great group of kids this past year, that they inspired me and re-ignited my passion for education. I think God knew I needed a break and sent them to me. It probably had a lot to do with having a fishing camp again too. A person's got to have a place where they can get away from it all. Teaching's a high stress environment. You have 96 kids, plus tons more if you coach. You and you try to treat every one as if they are your own. You worry about them constantly. Plus you've got the admin pushing and pushing to do more and more. You've got stacks of papers to grade that never go away no matter how fast you grade them and paperwork shoved at you from every direction. It really can be overwhelming. To me, the trick to being a good teacher is making the kids want to hehave for you. I'll agree that the respect we once gave as an automatic to our teachers and coaches now, to a large degree, has to be earned. It does have a lot to do with what our society presently applauds. But you can either sit and complain about it, or go out and try to do something about it. So I go to work each day like the other legions of teachers and try to make a difference one kiddo at a time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts