2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some help on the best eating fish out there. I can't stand kings, way too strong. I love mahi but hard to find. I hear redfish are great but how do you cook them?

·
Gone Fishing
12,003 Posts
Filet a red just like any fish but leave the skin and scales (on the half shell) with some butter and tony's put the scale side down on the pit cook to perfection the fish will slide off the skin when done

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I agree with POC and Spackle-catcher lol

Wahoo, Yellowfin Tuna, Ling and AJ....and I don't eat bait (snapper) lol j/k

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do the tuna taste like. i have a fear that they are like salmon that I don't like so I would hate to catch a bunch and not like the meat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you don't like the stronger tasting fish, try Tony Chachere's on both sides and grill the fillets like a steak.

Marinating in Soy Sauce and Lime juice also works.

Smoked for about 1 hour on hickory coals changes the flavor of most fish (for the better IMHO).

The small lane and vermillion snappers are very mild along with some of the smaller groupers. Triggerfish are mild and not such a nuisance when you eat 'em.

I agree that Redfish are fantastic, smoked, baked, stuffed, grilled, on the half-shell, fried, poached...

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Don't forget...

All of the fish mentioned are great fish to eat. I must say that mahi is great but cobia is by far my favorite, it's like a big catfish. However, there are some easy to catch fish that are great as well. A couple of weekends ago, I fished a little weedline in close and found some small mahi, but underneath a little 2x4, I caught 5 trippletail. Let me tell you, this is an easy fish to catch and it tastes just like crappie haha. Good stuff, and you dont have to go to deep deep water to catch. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Don't forget flounder on that list..

Just had some grilled ling and man was it good. Just pulled it out of the freezer(frozen in water), thawed it out in room temp tap water, seasoned it with fresh cracked pepper, lemon pepper, sea salt, fresh parsley and a dash of paprika and put it directly on the grill (no foil). Took a few mins. per side and my fiance' and I fought over it! Complimented it with skewered veggies (new potatoes, green pepper, onion and cherrie tomatoes) marinated then also placed on the grill. Washed it down with some chilled Pinot Grigio wine. Don't get much better! :)

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,180 Posts
i hear ifin you soak king balls in milk it will take out some of the wildness! i like snapper, reds, trout, ling , cut into nuggets fried! amberjack on the grill, trigger is good has a sweet taste, dorado is great grilled, i hear fried african pompano is great, very flakey,,,, yea your right!! i could kick myself in tthe [email protected]# for not saying flounder!!!!! grilled ,, broiled, and i love it fried!! #1

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
My choices are:
Tier 1: wahoo, YFT, grouper, mahi
Tier 2: ling, blackfin, snapper, AJ

I've never had mako or blacktip. Shark isn't really my bag. Kings often turn into bait. I actually smoked some fresh crevalle jack and found it very surprising. I hope you don't think poorly of me for this. Never had the guts to try a tunny. The Filipinos in this area go nuts for bonitos. I actually know of a place that sells them under the counter. You can trade your bonitos for cold beer there at the dock.

·
Registered
956 Posts
2wahoo said:
I actually smoked some fresh crevalle jack and found it very surprising. I hope you don't think poorly of me for this. QUOTE]

No, all the better for you. This just reminds me of an early offshore experience about 11 years ago. A friend and I caught our first Jack Crevelle and we had no idea what it was. We were cleaning it at the dock and my friend made a comment on how red the meat was. He thought it would not be very tasty. An old grungy fisherman was watching us clean it and said they were great baked! My friend went home, baked it, and said he almost puked it was so bad. Now, whenever I think about JC, I think of that old grungy man that pulled that quick one on us. I just picture doing it myself many years from now, just in respect for this old man. My friend is oriental and eats anything from the sea but JC :). Maybe it is better smoked. I just like holding them up for pics and letting them go.

I went out on a limb today and grilled some barracuda. Now I was pleasantly surprised that it looks just like large spec trout or small black drum when fileted. I thought it tastes just like small blackdrum. It is also probably good fried and blackened. How safe it is, I don't know, but i am here typing this.

I agree with everyone else, in general, but I am not much on tuna. I can eat it, but no way can I eat it every day and it is not on the top of my list. I do like making blackened tuna snadwiches with it. If anyone ever wants to trade wahoo, dorado, ling, or red snaper for it, just let me know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you like sashimi, Bonito (Little Tunny) is one of the best. Grilled it taste a lot like beef and is a good substitute for those of us that need to limit our red meat.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
Steelersfan said:
Don't forget flounder on that list..

Just had some grilled ling and man was it good. Just pulled it out of the freezer(frozen in water), thawed it out in room temp tap water, seasoned it with fresh cracked pepper, lemon pepper, sea salt, fresh parsley and a dash of paprika and put it directly on the grill (no foil). Took a few mins. per side and my fiance' and I fought over it! Complimented it with skewered veggies (new potatoes, green pepper, onion and cherrie tomatoes) marinated then also placed on the grill. Washed it down with some chilled Pinot Grigio wine. Don't get much better! :)
Told you you'd like it.

I go YFT, Ling, Grouper, AJ, Wahoo, Flounder, Trout, Snapper, Red, in that order.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I know this sounds lame but I've had several cookouts and had friends sample Trigger and then Snapper. 99.9% choose the Trigger. IMO the taste is about the same but the Trigger stays together a little more. Mahi is good but to me about the same as Trig or Snap.

The thing about Trigger is after handling them you need to wash your hands in bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide. Something about their slime can cause a serious bacterial infection that you would not believe. Even the slightest ***** can become a monster infection with 48 hours and by 72 hrs you can see it running up your finger to your hand. Otherwise, great for a meat haul.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had no clue you could eat bonito. We always cut it into strips and used it for snapper bait. Works great for that if you can keep the sharks off of it. Went out of Grand Isle, LA last year and caught a ton of bonito from 8-15 lbs. I was told that the 15lbers were huge for the species. Is that correct?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts