2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of this fish in Trinity ans East Bays being contanimated from storm runoffs, etc.?

·
Standing on a Whale fishing for Minnows
9,467 Posts
Earlier post on this.. No ..

They said if there was we would hear about it. They are testing..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Let me ask you a question. Would you batter your fish in gas/oil and other bi-products then eat it?

That is honestly how I feel about it. I will be practicing catch and release for a while.

I have seen 500 gallon tanks float up in yards after the hurricane, I know of at least 3 boats with in 1 mile of my parents house that were completly sub merged, oil gas every where. I mean its not the PCB's at this point to me its the absolute garbage floating in the water at this point. Not to mention the extremly high bacteria in the waters right now.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
No Ron, I wouldn't. But I have made 2 trips to Trinity since the storm and it looks better than it has all year. Water is clear no oily sheen on it, birds are working, not much debris, have not seen any floating gas tanks or much of anything else except a few logs or timbers. I'm sure there is stuff out there, always is, but I don't let it bother me.

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
Galveston Waters Toxic??

As I recall, before the storm we were advised not to consume more than 8ozs of fish once a week or twice a week cause of toxins in the water/mud...something! PCP's etc. Started off w/ 2 species...then everything was contaminated. I haven't seen any fish floating or heard of an area where fish have LEFT as yet. According to the newspaper these are 2 signs the waters are TOXIC. x2 days ago (GDN). Nothing was floating a month ago or so, but still contained toxins! according to the Health Dept. Dredging was a topic brought up on a local radio talk show. This was weeks ago. Its going to take a lot of "testing the waters and mud" everywhere and until the "all clear" siren is sounded, I am not eating the fruit of the waters. IMO

621 Posts
Fishing: The Reel Report
By Capt. Joe Kent Good news for anglers after Ike's damage
October started off with good news for fishermen. Reports of re-openings of bait camps, charter boats and good fishing reports dominated responses from readers Wednesday.
October 02, 2008

Anglers concerned about bacteria, pollution
The safety of consuming fish from Galveston Bay following all of the pollution from Hurricane Ike is a hot topic.
October 01, 2008

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?wcd=126499

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
When the little green men that you see in your dreams tell you to stop eating fish, call me and I'll tell you where they are biting. Until then, quit worrying and making stuff up to worry about, and go catch some dam fish. By the way, the limit of trout we caught in Trinity under the birds today tasted dam good!

·
No fish in West Bay
5,637 Posts
I ate some redfish tonight that was caught in Trinity bay this afternoon. I'll let you know if I have to go to the hospital. Believe it or not, the fish tend to stay away from the contaminated water, gas and diesel float on the surface and will flash off pretty quickly anyway.

For good measure though, only fish a trout slick...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts