2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes in life "its the journey not the destination", but this was NOT one of those times :) It was ALL ABOUT the Destinations and the Plan!

The weather was slick glass calm and uneventful other than some very unusual cloud formations. It had been 8 weeks since I had been, because I have been sidelined by a broken foot.

THE PLAN: Go to the reef and jig some AP's, then high-speed troll up and out to the groupers.

We went directly to the reef and jigged around it a bit. Normally the fish are concentrated more to the SW, but this day we found them on the NE corner? Once there we got the usual suspects consisting of Amberjacks, Almaco Jacks and African Pomps with the Potroast Sandflea Jig being the shining star of the morning.

Next stop was the grouper grounds. We picked up and took off for the 5 mile move at 13knots and I threw out two high speed rigs. We ended up getting 2 of 3 bites we had, putting a splash more meat in the box.

Then we jigged Peewee's Playhouse. Our guest had never jigged before and the 300-400ft along with the 400g Katana's was a bit much for a beginner, so we set him up with some bait and Zack and I started working the big jigs. Zack jigged the first one, then I got one, then Zack got another. Our guest couldn't seem to get it done with the bait, so I made one drop for him that yielded one more, but insisted on reeling up in the rod holder since it was cheating :)

Next we took off from Peewee's to find a Jack Smackdown. We didn't put the high speed stuff back out, because we already had gracious plenty in the boxes and I was afraid we would catch more. Zack suggested we could release them. I said who are we kidding, if a wahoo comes to the side of the boat, I know I will kill it, so we just kicked back a rested for a second.

Up on the rock and back inshore on the reef we found a few jacks, including one 50lb Almaco that fought me from the bottom all the way up to the top. He was a great way to finish off the day for me. We cut and ran early in the day to get Zack home to meet his company from out of town, with sore arms and full boxes.

The only tough part of the day was that it was too nice. You couldn't back troll to steady the boat or you didn't move at all, so you had to just drift, so you were at least moving a little. Although there was no wind and less than a knot of tide, it still caused a small amount of scope, which in turn led to lost jigs. But for as pretty as it was, I'll take it every time.

Morning Clouds

Pomps

Mr. Zack with an AJ

High speed action

I even anglered one

This is why I wont ever use circle hooks if I don't have to.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,402 Posts
Great report and pics. Water looked good. I'd like to visit the Peewee hole!

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Hey Jim and y'all,

As much as I like light-lining, those spinning rigs just don't cut it for this old man anymore. So I'm in the market for a jigging reel, conventional style, and hopefully with a grandma gear in case an AJ or UFO jumps my jig. I can handle the up and down but that fight way down deep is hard on this old boy, especially if the booger won't turn his head. Got some recommendations? I saw you (of one of ya) had a shiny conventional reel there, looked expensive but good. -sammie

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,283 Posts
Dats what Im talkin aboutttttt!

Man, you get my motor runnin talkin jiggin and yalls videos of doin it...

One suggestion tho... get Zack a belt, he's gonna get a hernia....hahaha

Great job.. Great video (as usual)

Would love to jig with yall some day

Yall Dun Gooud!!

Hog

·
Concrete Contractor
12,402 Posts
Awesome video, got my jigging blood pumping. Why dont you send me some of those jigs to try in the Gulf
I'll do a video with them.

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
Nice report and pics. I would like to get offshore over there some day.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
This honestly is our slowest time of the year, especially for jigging. It will only get better as the temps drop, going from OK to epic.
That's exactly what the jigging guys are saying down here in South Texas. The spring was good, went to dead slow in the summer the fish wanting more meat, and then hot again towards the fall.

You might have to fight off a bazillion "endangered" red snappers, but the fall AJ and grouper should be pretty good.

I wish we were as thick with pomps like that - they're rare down here. Much better on the table than AJ, IMHO.

·
Banned
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Much better on the table than AJ, IMHO.
We do not keep them at all. I have only killed one out of the hundreds we have caught this year, and that was because it swallowed a $30 popper and was going to die anyway.

I think I could probably eat one if I was starving without any issue, however with a freezer full of tilefish, grouper, Ling, AP, wahoo and mahi, there really isn't any reason to keep one.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Well I totally respect that ... most of the Texas boys and gals take the full limits if they have the cooler space, and bring along deer coolers to make sure!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
If that doesn't get the heart pumping! OMG, I will have me some of those! Can you pick em up at TFU or do I have to go through Eastern Tackle? Pipelayer2, U GOTTA SEE THIS! Oh lordy, I think I just a religious experience. LOL!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.