2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Left the Harbor at 6:00am. With Big Daddy at the wheel of The Stealth we made our way out to the grassbeds. We dropped the hook and readied ourselves for a nice day of wading under partly cloudy skies with a large band of thunderstorms to our North and a lone thunderhead to the East.
As the sun began to rise Yougguide struck first with a Morning Glory BA. You could see the excitement begin to boil as his rod bowed with twitching jerks and the first catch of the day was a fat 25 incher at 5.5 lbs. He strung her up and we moved on deeper into the grassbeds. The water was gin clear and you could see the bottom. I was picking up dink trout as the guys took off in all different directions. I had some good blowups but they just wouldn't comit. Changed to a Char/Chr She Pup and on the first cast I had three good blowups. I fished it for quite a while after that with not even a drive by.
We located a pocket of nervous fleeing bait and had some steady action for a while but the only thing landed were too close to keep. Finally I chased a Redfish down that was working some mullet and he hit my Glow/Ch Assassin on five consecutive casts until I got it to stick. Everytime was on the fall on the first jig. He was in the slot but I let him swim. In the mean time Big Daddy, Norman, and Youngguide were putting a hurting on a few thereselves. They had picked up 2-Flounder that were right around 19 along with 2-slot Reds, and 3- Trout one of which was 5.5lbs. We made a move around 11ish towards some shell and ended up on Grass. We picked up one more Trout here on a Blue/Chr SS Jr.
The rain dodged us all day and it was a good day to be out.

Bigwater

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
-

Hard to believe that with the massive amounts of rain around ya'll were able to avoid all of it. Anyhow, nice report. BTW....you mentioned a she pup. Have only seen top dogs, top dog juniors, top pups, he dogs, and she dogs. Never heard of a she pup(although have wondered why they never made one). If indeed it was a sp, where did you get it?

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bayrat,

We had one slight and I mean slight sprinkle for about 200 seconds, and that was it. My glasses didn't even get wet. There were threating thunderheads all around. We got off the water at 2:00pm and it was about to rain then.

The She Pup was given to me by a close friend who is a deckhand for a guide. The Chrome on mine is a Gold color. Pup is about as long as a SS Jr. and has a shapely figure just like her mamma...The She Dog. The pitch of the rattle on this one is like her mamma too. I saw another one in 808. I hope they make a Red/Wh like the Top Pup. Thats another fine small topwater plug.

Later,
Bigwater

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
-

Boy, you sure got lucky on those threatning(sp) storms. Have to keep an eye out for those she pups. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Matagorda Saturday

I was on East Matagorda on Saturday, as well. It was strange how the weather just seemed to move around us without the bottom falling out. Fished the Gulf Coast Boat tournament with folks from SWCA. Our luck wasn't as good as yours - first trip to the bay for me since I was a kid MANY MANY years ago and the others were new to the area as well. Anyway, we boxed 8 trout, 2 reds and one flounder - nothing with any size. Saw the waders on the south shoreline and figured that was the ticket but we weren't geared to wade that day - I'll know better if I get the chance to fish there again - something I'd really like to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
East Matagorda

-have just started fishing E.Matagorda, like it and would like to fish it more. I would be happy to split guide cost or offer the use of my boat (19' Blue Wave) for trips with anyone who knows some of the finer points of the bay.

I had 1 good day getting into the middle of 30-40 tailing reds at Oyster Farm reef (per fishing map) but have not managed to do anything noteworthy since

Thanks to anyone interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts