2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy some Lil Johns for when I go to East Bay in November. What colors are you using in this area. East Bay is usually not very clear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What works for me

Lil Johns
Chicken on the Chain
Glow Glitter
Rootbeer
Gold

DSL
Red Flash ( This has been a hot color since they came out
Watermelon Red
Chartreuse Flash

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
chartruse and glow

I's get the chartruse, and then the glow with a chartruse tail. can't go wrong with these two colors. 1/8 oz jig head. :texasflag

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just curious why it seems many people like the Lil John over the Provoker? Seems like the Lil John looks like a literal terd, not trying to be a jerk or derogatory, just seems like it would have literally no action and you could just use a regular Zoom Fluke or the like. The Provoker at least seems like it would have some whippy tail action.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Just curious why it seems many people like the Lil John over the Provoker? Seems like the Lil John looks like a literal terd, not trying to be a jerk or derogatory, just seems like it would have literally no action and you could just use a regular Zoom Fluke or the like. The Provoker at least seems like it would have some whippy tail action.
Those "turds" have caught me a lot of fish. Try them with a concerted effort and you'll change your mind.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
deadly

not sure what it is but fish like them. of course find a pile of fish, and chances are they will like anything you put in-front of them. it's more about location, then presentation. :texasflag

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,793 Posts
Just curious why it seems many people like the Lil John over the Provoker?
Provoker is a good bait as well, but that little john has a lot going for it. It's a good size and if you ever watch a shrimp swimming in the water there isnt much real action. I think it mimics both a shrimp and a small eel and even small darting baitfish.

It's really not about the bait, it's putting a bait in front of fish 99% of the time.

I like LJ and DSL when I'm fishing deep shell. Sometimes I'll throw the provoker in deep shell and rock in the winter if I want a bigger presentation. Find the fish.. throw what ever you want in front of them and in just about any color and they'll tend to eat it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If I could only pick one color for East Bay (I assume we're talking Galveston), based on the color on which I have caught the most trout and reds in Galveston East Bay in the fall, it would be White. Gambler's Sassy Shad, BAs, and some old Norton baits, have been solid for me.

Now if you were to ask about Mirrolures, I'd say either 808 Halloween or that one that is orange top and bottom with gold sides.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tobin, how different is a Lil John from your grasswalker? I figured a grasss walker would work anywhere a Lil John would?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts