2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While listening to NOAA weather radio tonight, I caught mention of a fisheries notice. It sounds like "due to the hurricanes, IFQ holders landing catches between the Mississippi River and Freeport are being allowed to file paper reports instead of using the vessel monitoring system, until October 24th". I couldn't find anything on their website, has anyone else heard of this? What's to provide a deterent to outlawing? I understand that inspection officers might be busy rescuing cormorants; or maybe their main computer suffered in the storm; but accepting paper reports sounds like an invitation to a "free for all".

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Maybe Ted Stevens Senator from Alaska ,Mr. IFQ ,will have time reconcile the paper reports soon since he is underfire for bribes. I am sure he would give us a good count.

·
Vendor
6,013 Posts
IFQ's

Howdy,
First, they take away the few enforcement tools in place (trip limits and 10 day seasons), while simultaneously approving IFQ's without having the required infrastructure in place to adequately monitor the comms; (many comm boats did not have VMS in early 2007, and I'm not sure that all comms are in compliance today).

Secondly, the reasoning for approving the IFQ concept was to do away with the "dangerous" derby system, providing the shareholders the ability to safely pick and choose when they go offshore to fish. If there is a hurricane, then they SHOULD choose not to go fish, and choose to fish when the weather is calmer.

Therefore, why is there a need to lighten enforcement here?

What a joke.

Tom Hilton

·
Geaux Deep
110 Posts
Rec. Extension

I am still waiting for notification that the Rec. Season has been extended in South Texas because of Dolly. Oh Well - RH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts