2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· senor member
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posed by uncleray on another thread. What is yours, how old were you?

I remember sitting on my grandpa's knee, wearing his big straw hat. I was 2 at the time. I remember chasing a turtle and yelling cookie! cookie! at about the same time

· Done Wit Dat
7,491 Posts
I'm not sure of my age, but my grandfather died when I was 3. I remember him being seemingly very healthy and I was sitting in his lap on a rocking chair. He had a big frosty mug of Dixie Beer and he was rocking slowly. He would take a sip and put the mug down for me to take a sip. He taught me how to make that "Pstaaaaaah" sound after taking a sip. Before anyone has a cow about a kid that age drinking, my mother on advice from my pediatrician, put beer in my baby bottle just to put me to sleep. Louisiana is a different world. I also remember doing the same thing on the corner of the porch at our fishing camp. He "helped" me reel in my first trout. I remember going to the hospital and seeing him so sick. Cancer struck him and he was gone in 5 weeks. My last memory of him was when he was in a wheel chair and we were in the hospital gift shop. I saw a little wind up car in a glass case and I wanted it. He bought it for me and I remember giving him a big hug. I didn't know what was going on. I was only 3 and the idea of death was well beyond my understanding. I remember my mom sitting me down a few days later and explaining Heaven to me and telling me that Paw went there and he couldn't come back to see me anymore, but that I would go to see him again one day. There are many other memories, but I'm sure that these were before or during my third year. - Coach

By the way, I still have the little car.

· Registered
4,659 Posts
Two years old and watching my dad throw a snowball over the roof of the house - couldn't believe he was strong enough to throw it that far (no, it wasn't in Houston).

· Registered
709 Posts
First Fish

My first memory was at "Poppa's" pond. He, my father and I were there and I caught a perch on a cane pole. Back in da woods of Henderson , Texas. I was 2 years old. My wife was not quite that old when Hurricane Carla came through and she remembers some of it ( her family stayed through it in La Marque { just north of Galveston }). GC

· Registered
4,912 Posts
Playing Poker

Shortly after WW II , my mom and pop and a bunch of buddies and their new wives he was in the Air Force with, were living in Government houseing in what is now Memorial Park. After WW II there was a giant shortage of housing for all the GIs comming home, and they were basically quanson hut duplexes with "real" iceboxes that had to have ice delivered every other day or so. I even remember the name of our street, West Minola.

But the earliest, is when they had their penny ante poker game every Fri nite and sitting in his lap and putting his pennys in, and an occasional sip of his beer. THAT must have been great fun...waiting for a 2 or 3 yr old to get the pennies in the pot. OH, well, it was another place and time, folks were a lot more family oriented and nobody seemed to mind and I got to do it pretty regularly!! LOL

Pretty funny how all us pot bellied old men remember drinking beer at a young age!! LMAO

Later
R3F

· Registered
979 Posts
I remember "armadillo hunting" with my grandfather. He died when I was 5, so I was probably 4 or so. I got so many ticks on me that my grandmother put me in one of those metal washtubs and bathed me in turpentine!

· We all have it coming......
8,603 Posts
I have several memories from a very young age. But, I can't seem to think of anything to pin down exactly how old. I would have been around 2 or 3.

Being at a babysitters house.
Laying in my Daddy's lap.
Going to the coffe shop with my grandfather. (probably closer to 4)
Getting my haircut by a barber named Red.

I could go on and on. What a trip down memory lane.

· Registered
4,491 Posts
i remember everytime we went to a corner store, i got a penny and could pick out a piece of candy from the bottom row. also remeber almost picking up a scorpion in our kitchen in austin - about 3 yrs old

· Registered
4,491 Posts
oh i also remember going dove hunting with my dad and his friend. they never got any dove, but did drink some beer. maybe they should have used something other than pistols

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.