2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attention Scouting Supporters,

The Sam Houston Area Council, Eagle Scout Michael Font, and his family are asking for your support. Michael Font is an Eagle Scout from Troop 441 chartered to Christ United Methodist Church, who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on June 20 and began chemotherapy at M.D. Anderson on June 27.

Michael graduated as the 2006 Valedictorian of Elkins High School. He is a National Merit Finalist who planned to attend Wake Forest University this Fall on a Carswell scholarship.

Those plans are on hold indefinitely.

Michael is already a "miracle" kid who the family almost lost as a newborn. The family is profoundly grateful to God for His continued work in Michael's life and pray for courage to fight this new battle.

Twice this past week, Michael experienced first hand the impact of the current blood shortage at M. D. Anderson when he was only given one of two prescribed pints of whole blood due to the priority given to another patient.

Please help Michael in his fight by participating in one of these blood drives:

- BOWEN, MICLETTE & BRITT INC Blood drive taking place on Tuesday, July 25th at 1111 North Loop West from 10 to 2. Please designate your donation to Michael David Font MR 684920. - Contact Valores Desormeaux @ 713-880-7126

- The July 27 Blood Drive will be at Aon Corporation, 1330 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX (Four Oaks Place). Walk-ins are welcome after 3:00
- Christ United Methodist Church Blood and Platelet Drive taking place on Sunday, July 30th @ 3300 Austin Parkway, Sugar Land 77479 from 9am-3pm (can be extended to accommodate additional donors). Please designate your donation to Michael David Font MR 684920. Contact Lisa Vernon at [email protected] or (281) 499-2124.

Please remember that you can go directly to any of the three M.D. Anderson facilities.

Please click on the link for scheduling and contact information, locations, screening criteria and FAQs. http://www.mdanderson.org/departments/bloodbank/.

While Michael is "O-Positive", any blood-type donation creates a "credit" to his account and helps just as much as a matching blood type.

"The entire Font family extends our most sincere appreciation for your support in helping Michael." For more information on Michael view this link: http://michaelsleukemia.blogspot.com

-Mary Font (Mother)

Attachments

·
dedicated fire poker
1,014 Posts
Scouting was one of the best thing in my growing up. I'll be there.

·
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)
4,647 Posts
Praying for this eagle scout. My eagle days still help me daily in life!

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
I'll do the one on the North Loop West, It's close to my office, and I am O positive too...
Will be a pleasure..... Thanks for the alert Jan....

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I'll you can go into any blood bank and have it designated to this fella. Just take his name and ID#.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I will be heading down to M. D. Anderson in the morning to donate a unit in his account, they are welcome to a jug a Texas finest ******* reserve.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be awesome Cappy! I am sure the family (and certainly the scouting family) will be very appreciative. I know I am.
cappy said:
I'll start mentioning it on the air Jan...Capt. Wayne

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Jan

Can you give at any Blood Center in his name or does it have to be one for MD Anderson?

I can donate at the blood center at Willowbrook but can't make the drives.

Matt

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, I will make it a priority to call around in the morning and get the answers to these questions. Thanks.

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Looks like an outstanding young man, Jan. Bless you for what you're doing ... prayers going up. We have a lot of dedicated blood donors at HP ... I'll be sending this on to friends at work on Monday.

Bob

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
im due now anyway, and would love to help him out. let us know if you find out if it makes a difference where you give or not. ill give somewhere.

·
Chris
96 Posts
I went to MD Anderson this morning, they got me in and out very quickly. Please let me know if they need anything eles, i gave whole blood but would be willing to give red blood cells or platlites if he needs them. Also i live ten minutes from MD if the family needs a place to stay.
Chris Ferstl 713 480-1370

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on Where to Donate

Folks,

I called and talked to a fellow at the MD Anderson Blood Bank and he said that as long as the facility was affiliated with the national blood bank association and referenced the MR Number listed in the orginal post of this thread, that the units would be credited to this patient.

I am including a link to a page that lists all of the blood drives by region in Houston. Please post up after you donate and let's see how much blood 2Cool can give for this young man.

When you donate, you must write down his name and medical record number. Here it is:

Michael David Font MR 684920

Thanks for your support!

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
I'm Bit said:
Also i live ten minutes from MD if the family needs a place to stay.
That's a awesome, selfless offer, Chris. My hat's off to you, sir. :D green.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts