2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a 36' Twin vee, thinking about booking a trip on one. Is it similar to a catamaran, will it be a comfortable ride in say 4 to 6 footers.

Anyone have a picture you can post.

Thanks, Bill

·
Back in da Saddle
10,153 Posts
I'm Knot knocking Twin Vees But in that kind of sea you will get Hull Slap due to the lack of Height between the sponsons and underhull deck ..

John

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
4 to 6 seas

My $.02.....I am not sure a 36 foot anything would be "comfortable" in 4 to 6's. Fishable, yes, but comfortable.......................???????????

Bob

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
not much in the big boat class is comfortable in 4-6s

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should have said safe! Just trying to figure out where to draw the line if the weather is ruff.

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Be Young said:
I guess I should have said safe! Just trying to figure out where to draw the line if the weather is ruff.
The captain will make the weather call. He is there to provide his clients with an enjoyable trip and generate repeat business, not incur injury liabilities.

If he knows he has experienced, hard core, offshore fishermen he might go in rough conditions, but he is not going to risk injury to a passenger or damage to his vessel if he can help it.

Bob

·
Registered
542 Posts
Does anyone have experience or knowledge of Twin-vees? According to some articles the 26 footer rides as good or better than any other catamaran, needs minimal power and gets over 2.5 nmpg.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have heard the same about the ride and mpg. The fact is that they are a very light boat, they have low sides and not a very deep hull thus they require little power

·
Registered
187 Posts
JWT,

I have done quite a bit of research on the TV (among other Cats) and talked to a of couple guys who own one. I have NEVER been on one and these are just my observations based upon what I have learned so take it for what it's worth. I am NOT an expert on Cats and have only ridden on them a couple of times, most recently a WC.

1. They are a full planing hull so the amount of fuel burned per mile is going to be lower than say a semi-displacement (WC) or a full displacement (GB) because of the way it is designed to ride on the water. You are also going to be able to cruise faster compared to a Cat of equal power.

2. Argo hit it on the head regarding the power required because of its weight. You're looking at 1400# lighter than WC and 2500# lighter than GB. (based on 26' models)

3. Regarding hull slap...to my understanding, all Cats have it. When I rode the WC it had it. Wasn't that big of a deal IMO. Some people hate it...to each their own I guess. Each Cat is going to have its idiosyncracies regarding the ride.

4. Relative to other Cats, the gunwales are lower but from those I have spoken to who own them it apparently looks worse than it is. None have ever taken water over the side or been in danger of falling out (hearsay) and both have claimed to be out in 5'+ seas (again hearsay). As an aside, TV offers a rail as an option.

5. Relative to other Cats the TV is going to be a lot cheaper but you get what you pay for. You will find that fit and finish is going to be lacking. The hull is a proven performer however.

6. And I think 4-6s would be tough on ANY small craft.

Personally, I still have it on my list. There is supposedly a dealer in Rockport that I intend to check out in the near future. Hope this helped.

Junior

Fly Marines
:flag:

There is no question about the hereafter of men who give themselves in such a cause. If I am called upon to make it, I shall go with a grin of satisfaction and a smile.
â€" Lieutenant David Endicott Putnam, America's first 'Ace of Aces,' in a letter to his mother. He was shot down by German ace Georg von Hantelmann. 12 September 1918

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks for the info nfo2na. I know there is a dealer in Rockport and I believe there is one near Beaumont.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts