2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the duck hunters in and around corpus. Do any of you hunt the marsh on the far west end of Nueces bay? I hunt around matagorda and rockport but i was looking at that area at the west end of nueces and it looks pretty good with lots of tidal creeks leading way back into the marsh to ponds the you could get the boat to. Are there any areas back there that are "off limits" to us hunters? Thanks a lot guys.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
I grew up in Portland, and as far as I know it is not open to duck hunting. The best duck hunting we had was on harbor island between Port a and Aransas pass, right behind brown and root. Right before you get to the ferry landing, turn right at the chain link fence and follow it around until the fence stops. Just over the levee,there is a fresh water pond that seperates the bay and the ship channel. They would come off of the bay and just had to have some fresh water. Not too sure if it is still there, but it is honeyhole for sure.
Bret

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

thanks guys, since I had never realy heard about hunting in that area, i thought it might be private. Sure does look good though. Guess I can just stick with all the other spots we go. Bret, i know of a few spots similar to that farther north and they can be awesome. Little spots off the ICW that hold freshwater over the levees. good shootin!!

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
re: Brown and root ..Yeah, but they will be shooting over a 12 ft levee. We used to limit out and just sit in the blind until dark. Man that little fresh water pond would completely fill up with ducks. It has been a few years since I hunted back there, but man was it fun.

·
Iusedtofish
2,893 Posts
If you are headed to porta from Aransas, there is a 8ft chain link fence that surrounds Brown and Root(or whatever they are called now) Turn right at the fence and follow it around for maybe 3/4 of a mile. You will see the levee. it is where they put the dredge mat'l from the ship channel. when the fence stops, you are approx 100-150yds away.
the pond is in the the bay side corner of the levee area (NE corner)you might have to do some walking around till you find it. there may still be some blinds set up around the pond. It is not too big maybe 30yds x 75yds. We would only put out about 6-10 dekes and man would they fog in. I hunted there from the mid 80s to early 90s. Heck they may have filled the thing in with dredge material. but it was the closest fresh water for all of those ducks feeding on the bays. A buddy of mine who has guided that area most of life showed it to me when we were in High school. If it is still there, it would be a place to check out. If you do go, be careful where you park because the tide can come in and you wont be going anywhere for a while. If I could draw you a map, it would be very simple to find. As far as skillet shot, we never did, but in the evenings, there would be hundreds coming in. No BS. I would scout it out before dragging your gear in there. some people are pretty protective of their honey holes. All of my friend that hunted there with me are no longer in the area. let me know if that helps.
Adios,
Bret

1 - 10 of 10 Posts