2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive duck hunted all my life, and Ive been searching for the perfect glove ever since...but I havent found the perfect one
besides decoy gloves, Every glove I have tried said they were waterproof, but in reality they soak up the water when they get wet

i dont want to switch gloves while hunting, I need a pair (max4 advantage) that have insulation, a shooting finger, and are truly water proof

i figured someone here has found "that" glove....any suggestions???
thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've hunted all my life and came to the conclusion there is no such glove for duck hunters. Your hands are going to get wet and cold at some point period, therefor I usually just go without them now.

Seal skins are dry but don't offer a whole lot of warmth. Dry, warm & dexterity don't seem to mix with duck hunting.

·
Team Marsh Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is kinda what in thinking...but i was hoping someone has discovered "the light"

EWH said:
I've hunted all my life and came to the conclusion there is no such glove for duck hunters. Your hands are going to get wet and cold at some point period, therefor I usually just go without them now.

Seal skins are dry but don't offer a whole lot of warmth. Dry, warm & dexterity don't seem to mix with duck hunting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just pack 2 or 3 pair of supposedly "waterproof" gloves sealed separately with a vaccum sealer to keep 'em dry & shrink 'em up so they don't take much space in the blind bag. If the first one gets too bad, I go to the next pair. Also use totally separate big ole gauntlet gloves for putting out the dekes, boatride, etc.

·
Triple D Guide Service
1,009 Posts
remi19 said:
I have some of those and my hands get wet...perfect glove, imo, no such thing lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
remi19 said:
got the same type they work pretty good.

I also have some wool turkey huntin gloves. They get wet but your hands will still stay warm in them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
when i worked at cabela's i tried just about every pear we had. the one's posted are probably the best but not flawless. the inner layer on the sealskinz keep your hands dry but the outer soaks up water. i ended up taking them off halfway through the hunt and returned them on the way home. your best bet is the one's posted or some nice wools one's with some sort of water proofing agent sprayed on the outside to shed water AND a good hand warmer/pocket to hang from your waders.

these are the one's I wear. Worked well for the -DEGREE Wyoming winter.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat602953&hasJS=true

·
Registered
772 Posts
Same conclusion the perfect glove doesn't exist.

Neoprene fishing gloves are good for cool weather, I like the fingerless. For cold weather wool gloves or glo-mitts with a waterproof over mitt for boat rides, and a back up pair.

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
Same here, haven't found it yet.

Same thing again on the two/three pairs thing. Big fluffy Gore-tex ones for the boat ride, having the insulated GD surface drive handle cover is great by the way. Pull those off for setting out the robo's and unloading the boat. Switch to the long ones for picking up birds, usually wear no gloves in the blind, just keep hands in pockets.

One cool thing I got this year, cost 29 bucks at Academy. A propane heater, takes a green 16 oz bottle. When I have kids or people that the cold bothers, light that thing up on low, makes it nice and toasty in the blind. In a box blind deer hunting, have to turn it off sometimes gets too warm in there. It's cheap and works, I like it!

MM

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am surprised noone has suggested this but we use black golf gloves for hunting. They are not waterproof but you can get a pair that fit your perfectly. For the vast majority of days we have hear it is all you need to keep your hands warm. Put a pair of neoprenes on over these for putting out and picking up decoys and birds and it is all we have ever needed. Get you some big fluffies for the boat ride and you should be good to go.They are relatively cheap too.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
They aren't really needed around here, IMO. I keep some gloves around for the boat ride out when my hands have to be exposed, but they come off as soon as we get there. Handling texas rigged decoys can be awkward with gloves, and I'm of the opinion that shooting with gloves is flat out dangerous. I prefer to use the handwarmer pockets on my coat. On the very worst days, I will use gloves when working decoys or leave one on my left hand while shooting. But those days are extremely rare.

I have a pair of sealskinz, and a pair of fleece gloves with finger cutouts and a mitten pullover. Neither are perfect.

·
Registered
410 Posts
MarshJr. said:
i just dont understand why there isnt such a glove...it seems simple enough...plastic lining, insulation and camo

some good suggestions on here though..
The plastic lining is the problem, plastic wont let the moisture your hands make escape, so you end up with wet hands. Thats why the gore tex guys are banking, gore tex is waterproof yet allows water vapor to escape.

Try making some gloves that fit your specks, most of the materials store bought gloves are made from can be bought online, even in camo patterns.

The fact that most people are using multiple pairs of gloves makes for an interesting idea. How about 4 in 1 gloves just like 4 in 1 parkas. A 4 glove system made to be used together or separately.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a pair of Goretex gloves that are my go-to when it gets really cold.
They have a shooting finger but a mitten for the other three fingers.

They have a style like these: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=302549, but are brown camo and have a more water resistant material.

They are not water proof so I take them off then collecting decoys or whatever my get my hands soaked but after that I put them right back on.

They keep my fingers warm and wick the moisture away pretty well.
Sorry I can't seem to find them on the Internet. I bought them about 20 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts