2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to duck hunting I have been fishing the marshes my whole life and decided to give hunting them a try. I am running out of a bay boat and am unsure about hiding it. Do I need to cover it with some kind of camo to hide it? Or can I park it away from the hunting spot? If that is the case then how far do I need to put it? Like I said above I am new to the hunting world and its all a learning experience for me so I would really appreciate the advice.

·
Hunt/Fish, Eat, Sleep, REPEAT!!
683 Posts
If I were you, I would NOT be using a bay boat to hunt the coastal tidal marsh... you are just asking to get stranded, whether it be from the tide getting too low, or your engine hitting something under the water!

But to answer your question, YES, concealment is key when duck hunting! The less the birds see that is out of the ordinary, the better!

·
Banned
173 Posts
First, welcome to the hunting world. I hope you get as addicted to the sport as most of us here. To answer your question, I don't feel that you need to cover the boat if it's parked far enough away. The exact distance.....I think that's up to you. I think the further away the better but I to have shot ducks with the boat parked close. As for running a bay boat...I don't see a problem with it if you know the waters that you are hunting. SW is correct though if you don't know the waters the tide could be a problem for you. I personal run an airboat most of the time I'm hunting because of the areas I like to hunt. But this past weekend the tides were so high I took the bay boat to the same area that would normally require the airboat. Sorry about the long winded answer. The key is to know the water that your hunting. Good Luck and stick with it.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I agree that concealing the boat is no big deal... Ive used fully camo-ed duck boats and bright white huge bay boats to get out there.... parked both 150+ yards away and I couldnt tell the difference in success....

I would park it as far as you feel comfortable.... remember, you have to walk back to it.... haha

I dont see a problem using a bay boat at all... I think they are more stable vessels and safety is always paramount with my groups.

Just as important as knowing when the low tide is coming, you need to keep an eye out for approaching Northers....

A strong North wind will leave your boat high and dry.... and you wont be able to retrieve it until a few days when the South wind comes back...

Always park your boat in deeper water than what you are hunting.... that way you know what the water level is doing before its too late. Run your equipment to your designated spot.... drop off all but 2 people (if its just you and one other person... drop off your equipment then you both go park the boat). The first person needs to start the walk back about 25 feet in front of the other person... that way if it gets too deep, you both wont get wet AND in case of an abrupt depth change, you can help in an emergency. I always use the buddy system...

Also, gun safety wise, make sure everyone in the group uses the same shooting tactics... Decide prior to shooting time if everyone is going to stand up to shoot or not... it may save a life....

With new hunters, I will often place tall cane poles in front of everybody.... this limits their shotgun muzzle movement from side to side.... Keeps everybody shooting in front of them AND keeps people from fighting over someone else shooting their birds, ear-blasting, etc....

You are going to love the sport... hope you have room in your budget!!! Its addicting and can get a little pricey.... start selling your blood plasma now.... haha

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I'd like to agree with motown on the good stuff.I dont know many who use the cane pole method with new or seasoned hunters in a crowded blind,Christopher.
My grandpa used cane poles when i first started hunting when I was a little tike to prevent me from swinging my muzzle in a dangerous direction... They work and if it makes my blinds safer, than its good...

They dont have to be huge bamboo poles... just a subtle, tall and thicker piece of cane or brush to seperate the shooting zones.... Sometimes hunters get a little excited and swing too far on birds.... Im sure we have all been there and have the constant ringing in our ears to show for it... haha

This method also keeps hunters on the ends from shooting before the birds get in the kill zone for the whole group...

I dont hunt out of blinds much any more, I am almost strictly timber now... I make everybody get on a certain side of a tree... Usually put everybody on the West side of each persons designated tree... That way everybody has a tree between them for safety, it allows the hunter to be in a shadow, and it keeps the sun out of their eyes....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for the advice and support this really helps me out. The areas im running out of i am really flamiliar with and I am running out of a shallow running bay boat so im not to much worried about getting stuck. But at the same time im not saying it cant happen lol. I have had the chance to go hunting a few times this year and have had a blast. I dont plan to stop here its like yall said its addicting.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
.... Sometimes hunters get a little excited and swing too far on birds.... Im sure we have all been there and have the constant ringing in our ears to show for it... haha....
I have a nephew that still has a hearing problem from the new guy he took .....and that was 5 or 6 years ago.....And on the topic ....I have hunted from bay boats, skiffs and air boats.....just be aware of your surroundings and changes in conditions...cover or park the boat away from your blind....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts